which canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterl99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question: After 2 years out of the hobby, I'm getting back in. I want a new canister filter for my 58 gallon fresh. I had been using Eheims for both my salt and fresh water 58 and 75 gallon aquariums along with either an undergravel filter or HOB filter for aerating the tank. When cruising thru the forums, there's a lot of talk about fluval and other brands. Somehow everyone seems to intimate that Ehiem is still the ultimate to go with... My question is what are people's opinions about which is the best and what about the wet/dry Ehiems (are they any good for fresh or salt)?

Thanks for the new-comer help.

I am of the opinion that you just can't go wrong with Eheim. They have been proven to last a decade and more, so in the long run they are the way to go. The idea of using a canister/HOB combo is popular and I have a tank with that setup currently - very effective. I am partial to the Renal Filstar line, as they are extremely easy to maintain and do the job at a very reasonable price.

I have no personal experience with the Eheim wet/dry, so can't help you there.

Good luck, and Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!!

Thanks. :D Seems like a lot of people like the increased size of the containers in the Filstar line. Haven't heard anything about the life expectancy of the Filstars.

The only reason I would be interested in a HOB would be for aeration unless I'm missing some other benefit. I'm curious to know if there is there is a biowheel that would connect to the outflow tubing from the canister filter that could aerate the returning water. Any ideas? :fadein:

[center:4d643a87e9] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Peter!!! :n00b: [/center:4d643a87e9]
To aerate your tank using a canister filter, just aim the outflow to hit the water line. I have three filter canisters and the outflow is under the water line, aimed up--it's quiet and effective! If it's noisy, it's time to fill the tank!

If you intend to have a planted tank with CO2 then a dry/wet is not suitable.
Some ppl annoyed by the flushing sound of dry/wet.

On my 44-gal African tank I have an Eheim 2215 (fabulous filter, just a bit annoying to maintain) that makes not a sound, even when I open the cabinet doors, and I also have an Emperor 400 HOB for extra filtration and that is where I keep crushed coral to buffer my water. They are easier to maintain since you can lift the cartridges or media baskets out of them right there. On my planted 55gal with CO2 I have the XP3 with no HOB, like vega mentioned, and I point the spray bar down to minimize splashing, like Menagerie mentioned.

My guess, simply additional/backup filtration.
Personally, I try to get a larger canister than what is needed and nothing else.

Quite honestly I put it on the tank because I had it, and I was interested in a little extra filtration (and an easy, accessible spot to put my crushed coral) but it also means I have an extra filter up and running with good bacteria, so if another of my tanks has a filter issue I will have an extra on hand. When I set up the tank I already had the Eheim sitting around, as well as the Emperor, so it seemed like a practical way to use what I aleady had. I have finished fishless cycles with the biowheels on established tanks, so it is handy to have it running for that purpose as well.

Well, I went ahead with the X3. Having used Eheims in the past, I've got to say I am (so far) much more impressed with the X3. The assembly instructions were pretty straight forward. The fact you can add an attachment on the spraybar to adjust flow is awesome (particularly for feeding times).

So, now I'll cycle the tank before the first fish goes in and go from there.

Thank you to everyone who gave their input.

Peterl99

Good luck, and I am glad you are happy with the filter. I really love that flow adjustment feature too, and forgot to mention it!

Back
Top Bottom