Which (Canister) filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an aqua one 980, 215l (56g) and the filter is driving me bananas, i have not started my fishless cycle yet, so before i start i think i'm going to get a new filter as this one is inhibiting me sleeping.

The filter has to be more or less silent, now these are the choices i have

Fluval 306 External Filter | Pets at Home

Fluval 406 External Filter | Pets at Home sell-_-product details

Aqua One Canister Filter 1250 Advance: CD Aquatics Aqua One Canister Filter 1250 Advance

All Pond Solutions - 2000EF Aquarium External Filter - All Pond Solutions

I think i am siding with the all pond solutions option, it's so cheap and has glowing independent reviews.

Or are there any others i have over looked?

Thanks for your help.

William.

I have the Allpond solutions (also known as sun sun) filter on my tank and it works a treat. It's not silent and does hum a bit but not that bad. Mine is in a wall though (plasterboard one side and an MDF door the other side). if it's outside of a cabinet then you might hear it more than i do.

I've sat mine on a rubber mouse mat to help cushion and vibration noise.

It's be going inside a cabinet, noise is a huge factor as well as price, this could get complicated. :lol:

Sit it on a rubber mat and stick some polystyrene on the walls of the cabinet, that'll help cushion the noise a little.

Look into the filstar series from api. I need to put a hand on it to make sure its running.

Opted for the 1400 lph all pond filter.
Have you put the order in yet. If not, I would go for the 2000EF model. I have heard stories about the flow rates falling off after a few weeks. Getting the 2000EF model could cover this. Remember a lot of manufactures exaggerate their flow rates and some even give these rates using empty units. Even if you have put the order in, you might be able to change it. If not, you will be still be getting a good filter. I use their HOB's and although quite noisy/rattles at first, it settled down after a few weeks and some Vaseline. Very quiet now and doing the job.....
I would suggest doing this before you set it up....

I have recently bought a fluval 205. Never had experience with canisters before but I don't think I will use anything else now. I'm looking to upgrade to the 306 for some extra turnover as I don't think the 206 is sufficient enough for a 40 gallon.

i'd go with the fluvial 306, I'm running a fluval 106 on my 54litre tank and i love it

I'd get the 306 or 406. You can also get a SunSun on eBay for real cheap. They work great, are quiet, but just don't have that "label"

Back
Top Bottom