Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Which Canister Filter for a 55 gallon tank

Hey everyone, newbie to this site, but i have a problem. I went to a couple different stores like local fish stores to talk to some people about canister filters and which one to buy. I heard that eheim and magnum were the top 2 and fluval came 3rd. well i decided to purchase a fluval 404 and went online and started looking at some reviews and they weren't that great. should i have not boughten a fluval 404, there was a disscusion at a store one kid told me to go with a cascade 1000 and the other kid told me to go fluval 404, so whats everyones intake on canisters and did i make a wrong choice? Any help would be apprecaiated...

Frank

Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I have three Fluval 404's. On my 55tropical, I have two 404's, and on a 55 goldfish tank i have one. I planned on heavier stock in the tropical tank, and less current in the fancy goldfish tank. Water quality is great in both, so I am not sure you need two 404's for a 55. But I like to overfilter when the current is not an issue.

I have heard great things about the Eheim. I am not happy with the Eheim price. I am satisfied with the Fluvals. More than satisfied, actually. I have had a Magnum a few years ago, and think the fluval is better. The other brands I have no experience with.

I think you will be pleased with the Fluval.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Cascade 1000 and absolutely LOVE it. They are cheaper online than at a lfs (9 times out of 10). They are very easy to put together and maintain. Right now we have a 1000 and 1200 on our 150 gal but the 1000 was on our 55 before moving it to the 150.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also had the cascade 1000. I too LOVE that filter. Its awesome. In an emergency smell situation I had, I switched it over to my SW tank (Its working great over there too), and got a fluval 402 for my 55. It really is too small for the 55, but its working ok for now. The next filter I get will be another cascade.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

AND, it can survive a fall to the floor from the kitchen counter and a kick across the room. Right Meredith?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL! Yes it can! Its very sturdy.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Despite the very nice things that Fishyfanatic and Meredith state about the Cascade, there is nothing better than the fluval IMO.

I just started using it a month ago. I did my first cleaning yesterday. My goodness, not only is it easy to dissassemble to get at the compartments...everything fits together like a puzzle so there's no chance of getting it wrong. And the media baskets are absolutely great.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I agree with Jchillin you can't beat the Fluval 404.
I run one on my 55gal African Cichlid tank and it works great. It's a snap to clean and set up. It also holds a ton of media.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rena Filstar XP2.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool thanks to all that have applied so far, i guess i will just keep my fluval on order. I heard enough positvies about it.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com