Which canister filter is as "leakproof" as possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Militarybooks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

Finally have my 135-gal tank stand ready (sanded and re-stained) and am now about to begin purchasing equipment. Assuming all other factors (great filtration, dependable, etc.), LEAKING is a big issue--especially where tank will be located. So . . . two questions:

1) Which canister tank suitable for a 135-gallon cichlid tank is the least likely to leak, or has protective valves to prevent leaking?

2) Should I run a single canister in a large long tank like this, or two filters, and which size?

Thanks in advance.

While we wait for the way more knowledgeable, here is my experience, and it is only with freshwater.

I bought a Marineland 530 canister, slightly used for a demo tank for a short time, from the local lfs. It is on my 150 FW now with no problems.

It closes tighter than Fort Knox. :fish1:

In case that changes, I have it in a huge clear Rubbermaid container in the cabinet.

Militarybooks said:
Hi all

Finally have my 135-gal tank stand ready (sanded and re-stained) and am now about to begin purchasing equipment. Assuming all other factors (great filtration, dependable, etc.), LEAKING is a big issue--especially where tank will be located. So . . . two questions:

1) Which canister tank suitable for a 135-gallon cichlid tank is the least likely to leak, or has protective valves to prevent leaking?

2) Should I run a single canister in a large long tank like this, or two filters, and which size?

Thanks in advance.

I own a fluval and it only leaks out of the seal when it is tipped. Otherwise its great never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom