Which canister filter should I choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As you know from my thread Fluval vs. Rena I did buy the Fluval.
I have reads lieraly 100s of reviews on Eheim, Rena and Fluval.
I did narrow my choices down to Rena and Fluval based on my needs ect...
I think either one would be just fine and many people swear by either one.
I chose the Fluval because I was able to get a good deal localy and on top of that I will have local support from my neighborhood aquarium supply (which stocks all replacement parts) If I had gone with any other brand I would have to mail order parts if I ever need them.That is very important to me.
As for the filter layout? If you look up the owners manual you will see the water flow path. It actually makes a great deal of sense, and there is alot of surface area on that foam filter stage. As for bio filtering? I have actually already been using the Fluval Biomax ceramic noodles in my spare media containers on my Emperor filters for some time and am perfectly happy with them.
Bottom line, what is sold localy and do they stop repair parts if needed? That should be a consideration when deciding as most of the filters we have discussed in this thread are all really good and will serve you well.
PS: the Fluval I bought came with a 3 year warranty.

I will second the Rena XP's in general and the XP3 specifically for a 55g. That's what I have on my planted 55 with pretty high bioload and it works great. I have an XP2 on my 36 corner and while it is a bit of overkill on that tank (mostly just because of the current speed in such an oddly shaped tank) the XP2 would not be enough on the 55.

Thanks, once I decide on a filter I am going to add a lot more plants and decor, and I already have probably 1/2 bio load easily, but also have a 10g overstocked with fry, and I'm sure some of those will go in the 55 and fill it up to the 'heavily stocked' range.

So with your planted 55 w/XP3, do you use the bio-chem zorb bag or not? I've never used one, and never in a planted tank, so I'm curious if it is good or if the carbon portion takes out plant nutrients.

I can certainly appreciate the need to get the most effective canister for your tank, but shouldn't dollar(euro, pound, whatever) value play a role here as well? The Cascade may not beat the competitors, but it seems to hold it's own against them while keeping it's purchase price down by a considerable margin.
I'm in the market for my first canister as well (55 planted) and am having trouble finding any notable advantages to the Rena or Fluval that would justify the price difference.
BYW thank you so much for starting this thread and posting your research, its been helping me immensely!

If you are worried about the cascade trays being flimsy, don't be. I have yet to break one.
My concern wasn't with breaking the baskets, it was that it was not a rigid material, it seemed to me that the rather large baskets would have more of a chance of letting water flow through at the sides where one basket locks into the next one. I'm looking at efficiency and the quality of construction IMO has something to do with that.

I can certainly appreciate the need to get the most effective canister for your tank, but shouldn't dollar(euro, pound, whatever) value play a role here as well? The Cascade may not beat the competitors, but it seems to hold it's own against them while keeping it's purchase price down by a considerable margin.
I'm in the market for my first canister as well (55 planted) and am having trouble finding any notable advantages to the Rena or Fluval that would justify the price difference.
BYW thank you so much for starting this thread and posting your research, its been helping me immensely!

You're welcome, I'm glad your getting something out of this!

$ value definitely plays a factor, especially for me and right now. I may just end up getting the cheapest one and see how I like it, and if I don't and want to upgrade I can just sell it used on eBay.

Right now it's kind of sounding like it's pretty hard to go wrong. I guess I'm tempted to go with the Marineland because their design makes sense, but I'll probably end up getting the Cascade 1000.

Ok, so Big Al's Online has the Cascade 1000 for $70 plus shipping, and the 1200 for $90 + $11 shipping. Either way, it's at least 25% less than LFS price and eve cheaper than anything on eBay. That's a great online store...

So, I've slept on it, and what I'm basically down to at this point is the cost. Money's tight, and the aquarium is down on the priority list, but deep clening the gravel 2x a week is a pain, it would be nice to just have to skim the top for waste every so often instead.

The Cascade offers the best price overall, even the 1500 / 350 GPH w/5 trays is only $110, which is still less than the lowest price for all the other manufacturer's SMALLEST filters, save for an eBay price I found for the Marineland 220 ($99).

As for flow rates these are the comparables by manufacturer, model, flow rate, suggested tank size:

Cascade, 1500, 350 GPH, 200G

Cascade, 1200, 315 GPH, 150G

Rena, XP3, 350 GPH, 175G.

Fluval, 405, 340 GPH, 100G

Marineland, C360, 360 GPH, 100G

Eheim, 2236, 185 GPH, 80G

The XP3 is what I would get if I went with Rena based on the input here so far. Using the flow rate number, which seems to make the most sense vs suggested tank size which is all over the board, that easily knocks out Eheim.

The Fluval 405 was $170 @ Big Al's
XP3 $140 on eBay
Marineland C360 $148 eBay
Cascade 1200 $90 Big Al's
Cascade 1500 $110 Big Al's

I'm thinking that the 350 GPH flow rate or the 1500 is just a bit too much for a planted tank, at least from what I've read. Even at 25% reduction that's 260+ GPH, which is over 5 turns/hr.

The 315 GPH @ 75% flow is about 240 GPH and that's still around 5 turns/hr, but with 4 trays it has more media flexibility, and now that I have thought more about the flow-by issue, it's probably not that big a deal, because one basket sits inside the one below it, and since the water is getting sucked up, that would cause the top rim to lock into the base of the basket above it.

I wonder which manufacturer Marineland was referring to in their video - they say in it that their competitor's products allow as much as 70% bypass flow (probably when a filter is severely in need of cleaning is my guess).

So for me, the decision is made, and it's the Cascade 1200. We'll see how it all works out I guess!!

Good luck!!! After all that research, you definately deserve to get the most bang for your buck. I'm leaning twords the Cascade 1000 myself. It seems like it would be good enough for me. I dont plan on keeping very dirty fish. Maybe just neons, a few live bearers and some angels (and perhaps some of those interestings shrimp people keep mentioning).
Still... 20 dollars is such a small price to pay for a stronger product... oooh thats how they get ya. Its like the "only 25 cents for an xtra large popcorn" argument... except that filters REMOVE waste where as with movie popcorn ...well, you know.

Ok, it's been a while, but my funds finally became available and I got tired of doing all the deep gravel vacs. So I started my hunt again since Big Al's price on Cascade was apparently a limited time offer, and all the Cascade prices went up $30 for the 1200 and 1500, making them $120 and $140 respectively. Still lower than anything on eBay, except one 1500 I found for $130.

I searched eBay for a few days and picked out as many filters as I could find and put them on my watch list and waited...I found an XP3 that had been used in a classroom experiment for 2 weeks, never on a tank and never recirculated water through it, just used as a pump, I bid on it but it ended up going for just under $130 w/shipping. Still a deal, but....

I found a Marineland C360 for $129.99 w/free shipping about the same time as the XP3, so when that went for over $100 (that was my 'stop-bid' point) I decided to get the filter that I REALLY wanted, but couldn't justify the extra $40 for (when the cheapest I could find it for was $150 and the Cascade 1500 was $110). The 2 worlds came together and as I watched the Marineland promotional video and realized that my 20 year old Magnum 330 canister and 10 year old power heads stil work fantasticly, both Marineland products, I decided the very little extra was worth it (plus I had a gangbuster couple of work weeks, comission way up).

Hopefully I'll get it and have it set up and running this weekend. My plan is to not use the carbon in the #2 tray (not good for planted tank from what I understand) and instead fill it with gravel from the surface for a couple weeks to 'seed' the bio-filter. Might just intersperse gravel in those baskets as well.

I'm excited to get it set up and WAIT to pull my UGF. I wonder how long I will have to wait? That's going to be a messy job.

My LFS recommended a C220 for me, the new marineland canister series. She stated that I need to do my HW and i have, the replacement items are the killer, renas's cartridges are rediculously priced.

I was told to stay away from fluval due to their customer service along with JBJ, if they cant take care of their retailers, how much help are they going to be with a end user?

I hadn't heard of JBJ until I think I saw a few on eBay, seemed like a knock-off brand and I haven't seen any in stores, so unless I could actually get my hands on one, I didn't 'evaluate' it.

How long have you had your C220 and do you have any likes/dislikes? Not that it matter for me, but someone else might find it useful...

Got my C360 today!

I got home this afternoon to find my Marineland C360 waiting for me! I unpacked it to check to make sure everything was there, and it was. By the way, the C360 is huge. I had only taken the C220 out of the box at the LFS. I have discovered THE reasons why Marineland states "Virtuall no bypass" - each tray interlocks with the intake tube running in sections between each tray, similar to Cascade's models, however Marineland also has a rubber gasket at the top of each basket's tube to ensure the seal. That the first one I noticed.

The big one is that the bottom basket is different from all the rest! Instead of having a flow-through bottom, like the rest of the baskets, it is deeper and has a solid bottom!

I will note here that all other manufacturers - Hagen Fluval, Cascade, Rena, Eheim - have all identical baskets and force the water flow around the outside of the baskets and down to the bottom (with exception of Cascade) which allows for the possibility of bypass between the baskets, like if the bottom basket pre-filter gets clogged. This is not even possible with Marineland the way I see it.

Just for all of you out there wondering about this product. I can't wait to get it set up!

Back
Top Bottom