WHICH CANISTER FILTER TO BUY ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert B

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 100 Gallon fresh water tank equiped with a Magnum 350 canister filter ( mechanical/ chemical filtration only ) submerged powerhead with foam filter on opposite side of tank. I have been looking at 2 other canister filters as a new replacement. they are--

1--FLUVAL 405 $210.00

2-- RENA FILSTAR XP4 $250.00.

Which one of these filters is the best ? for filtering, ease of cleaning & servicing the filter, AND the reliability and the least problems with parts? PLUS, the ease of operation ?

Attachments

• 2006_09101200x16000076_147.jpg
    2006_09101200x16000076_147.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 53
FYI Rena XP4- $180.
and XP3-$110.49
and XP2- $85
And yes two XP2's or XP3's would work well. I have two XP1's that I love on smaller tanks.

DrsFosterSmith.com ftw

I second two XP3 units. They're light enough to lift while full after you disconnect them.

I haven't used any model of canister filter other than the Rena Filstar. I've had a Filstar xP1 running on my 30g long tank for more than two years now and found it to provide outstanding filtering as well as being very easy to maintain. I just clean it once a month and replace the micro-filtration pad with a new one at that time. The other filter pads get rinsed out in tank water before being put back in the filter. I haven't had to replace any parts and have never had it leak.

I also suggest getting two xP3 units and put one at either end of the tank. This will provide greater filtration and if one fails you don't lose all your filtration. I highly suggest you get the Hydor ETH inline external tank heater at the same time you get whatever canister filter you decide on. I have one and it has proven reliable as well as uncluttering the tank.

I recommend, as already mentioned, 2 XP3s or even 2 XP2s. You could even get away with just one XP3 or @ with and AC110. A few months ago you were able to get XP3's from petsmart (brick and mortar store), for $75 + tax. I got two for my 180 oodball tank, along wtih a AC110 and Sieo 1500 pump for circulation.

Back
Top Bottom