Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by dollabill420 View Post
Aquaclear makes nice reliable filters for over 20 years, have one that's 20 odd years old and is still currently running as I'm typing this, never replaced a part and it has a massive space for completely custom media, IMO they are the best HOB the fluval C3 isn't a bad option either my friend has one and it's wicked but no space for extra media but it doesn't seem to need it, she has on a 30 though, she runs a whisper 70 on her 55 which seems pretty sweet, but again limited with extra space, seems like every makers goin the way of sleek looks and ability to get close to a wall
whats media? lol sorry! its probably something everyone but me knows about but ya... i thought we dont have to replace anything. we just put on the filter and thats it...

fish-4-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus
The media is whatever is in the filter to grow bacteria on. In the case of the AC, it is the sponge insert and the bio rings. Other things such as plastic pot scrubbies can be used and will much the same job, since nitrifying bacteria grows on pretty much every solid surface where it can get enough oxygen and food to survive.

Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
You can also use filter wool which is just pillow fluff lol, it can't have anything added like mildew chemicals has to be pure like hypo-alegenic pillow fill, your filter doesn't need to be replaced every weak like some packages will tell you, when it gets dirty just take some water from your tank and put it in a container put everything that's in your filter in it and squeeze rub shake and scrub it with your hands till all the gunk is out of it then put back
In your filter, this protects the bacteria from any sudden change, they are quite tough it seems though. This will also save tons of money in filters, I used one filter for almost 2 years before it fell apart. It there is any foam just squeezing it in the water will get it clean I find if there in the right order will stay clean, one foam in my aquaclear is 20 odd years old and still looks like it's a month old
dollabill420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
When I had a power filter that used cartridges I did this. Here are images. Hope the links work.
Modified filter - I was asked to take a pic so here it is. Hope it is helpfull. Marineland Eclipse H filter. Aquarium Advice Gallery
And used a block of aquaclear sponge on the intake as a pre filter.
making the powerfilter work better - Replaced the plastic fish guard with this coarse foam. Cut out the coarse filter media in the cartridge and replaced it with floss. Tank is much clearer now. Aquarium Advice Gallery
It gave me very clear water.

A 37 GL but its really 27gl when full
Security at the expense of freedom results in neither.
chasgood is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com