Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

which filter?

which filter would be best for a 46 gallon tank?

Aquarium Filters and Related Fish Tank Supplies | PetSmart

Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
My vote is for a Canister like the Fluval 305 ... more than enough filtration for a 46, easy to set up, quiet and allows you to set up the media trays the way you want.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
My vote is for a Canister like the Fluval 305 ... more than enough filtration for a 46, easy to set up, quiet and allows you to set up the media trays the way you want.
this one?
FluvalŪ C3 Power Filter - Filters - Fish - PetSmart
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by i swim View Post
That's an HOB filter ... which you could go with ... but not THAT particular model ... it's only rated up to 30 gal. See the link below for the type I'm thinking of ... during checkout you would chose the 305 model instead of the 205.

Fluval External Canister Aquarium Filters - Filters - Fish - PetSmart
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
That's an HOB filter ... which you could go with ... but not THAT particular model ... it's only rated up to 30 gal. See the link below for the type I'm thinking of ... during checkout you would chose the 305 model instead of the 205.

Fluval External Canister Aquarium Filters - Filters - Fish - PetSmart
thats a bit too expenzie. im looking for something $80 and under... i thought the HOB filter is up to 50 gallons?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a flurval 40g tank which came with the 205 external filter. Really good filter easy to use and got those separate trays. Would defiantly go with the 305. When mine packs up I'll be upgrading to that model or equivalent at the time.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

cool. so it looks like i will be going with this:
FluvalŪ C3 Power Filter - Filters - Fish - PetSmart
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by i swim View Post
thats a bit too expenzie. im looking for something $80 and under... i thought the HOB filter is up to 50 gallons?
Opps ... sorry ... The C3 is rated for 50gal, the C2 for 30gal. However, a C3 is still not adequate IMO. You want a filter that can handle more than the volume of your tank and a 50gal capacity is to similar to your tank. You basically want a filter to handle a 75gal tank. That should provide more than enough filtration ... basically your looking for a gph to be at least 5x the volume of your tank.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Opps ... sorry ... The C3 is rated for 50gal, the C2 for 30gal. However, a C3 is still not adequate IMO. You want a filter that can handle more than the volume of your tank and a 50gal capacity is to similar to your tank. You basically want a filter to handle a 75gal tank. That should provide more than enough filtration ... basically your looking for a gph to be at least 5x the volume of your tank.
anything suitable on the petsmart link thats $80 or under?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

This one here Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen - Fish - Sale Category - PetSmart will be more than enough as is and can be improved by removing the carbon and replacing with a second sponge insert. Save the carbon for some time when you need to remove meds or something, don't use it regularly.
AC filters have been around for a long time, the sponges last for years, and they are very easy to clean.

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com