Which filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midwestsmoke74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I have a 10 gallon tank and I'm trying to figure out which filter to use. I have a power filter that came with the aquarium and an undergravel filter. I also wanted to know if I need both sides of the undergravel filter working or just one? Thanks

I also wanted to know if it would be better to run them both.

I wouldn't even bother with the undergravel, they tend to cause more trouble than anything and changing it out later is a big mess. The best filter for a tank that size in an HOB, most recomend the aquaclear series due to the ease of use and durability. Don't be afraid to go bigger than the manufacturer recomends either, you can always turn the flow of the filter down if it is running to fast.

Use both. UGF's are not bad. They can be efficiently cleaned by sticking the siphon hose down the uptube. They are excellent biological filters, using your gravel as the substrate. There are also excellent passive mechanical filters, keeping the gunk out of sight.

That said, they do have drawbacks. They are not good for plants that are heavy root feeders (I use a ugf and keep my plants in pots). They cannot be used as the sole filter. They cannot be used with fine substrates (sand). They require a powerhead or an air pump to operate.

sorry im kinda confused, when you say i should both do you mean both filters or both sides of the undergravel? I ask because at the moment im runnin the power filter and only 1 side of the undergravel because my air pump doesnt seem to be strong enough for both sides.

I don't wanna knock ya apocalyse_gold but i'd say 95% or more people here would say scrap the UGF.. I personally would get rid of it. just my 2 cents ;)

Oh no.. not the UGF debate..

ok.. if its a fry tank then the UGF could stay IMHO
And if all the other input cap's are on only one side of the plate is fine.

normal fish tank.. Its not a maintace frendly filtration method.. I would find another sorce of filtration..

What powerfilter did you tank come with.. Do you know how many gallons per hour it pumps? If you have 50gph+ I would get rid of the UGF..

And if it were a fry tank I would get rid of the Powerfilter and get a better airpump.. (that is if I was going to use the UGF)

Mazdaman said:
I wouldn't even bother with the undergravel, they tend to cause more trouble than anything and changing it out later is a big mess. The best filter for a tank that size in an HOB, most recomend the aquaclear series due to the ease of use and durability. Don't be afraid to go bigger than the manufacturer recomends either, you can always turn the flow of the filter down if it is running to fast.

I must agree strongly, I have found undergravel filters to be a bad choice also!
Go with the HOB. :)

I have sucessfully used UGF's.. It was before other filtration methods were very popular. I do think there is an application left that they still exell at and that being fry tanks (but sponge or corner filters would do the same job with less effort). If your current HOB is not up to task for the bio-load simply ditching the UGF might be a mistake. I would make sure my HOB was up to task before reliving the UGF of its duties.

I wouldn't even have that underground filter going. Just go out and get yourself a good power filter. You really doesn't want to have both going actually. Many people suggest Aqua-Clear power filters. I read up on them a tad and they seem to be really good filters. And also go a step up with the power filter. LIke if it says does up to 10 gallons....go with the next one up.

My aquaclear has been absolutely fantastic so far. It's the best quality HOB that you can get for such a low price and you can customize it with whatever media you want. I agree with going a step up, and if it seems like too much current the flow rate adjuster actually works quite well for it's simplicity in design. You could use the aquaclear 20, but I'd probably just go with the 30 for the hell of it.

I have UGF's in all my tanks, except for the 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank. (2 55's. 1 38, 1 29) One 55 has 2 AC 500's, one for each filter plate. The 38 is set up the same way, with an AC 300 running the UG filter. I just put the intakes into the lift tubes. The flow through the gravel is strong enough to keep debris from collecting under the plates, so whatever doesn't get siphoned with PWC's ends up in the sponge blocks. ( 2 sponge blocks in each filter) The filter plates are all Penn-Plax Undertow's, which are a better design than the flat plates.
The other 55 and the 29 are set up with AC powerheads and Quickfilter cartridges. The Quickfilters have bulk filter media wrapped around the plastic cores, and the powerheads are adapted with pvc elbows/vinyl tubing for reverse flow, without using the reverse-flow option on the powerheads themselves. That way, full flow goes into the lift tubes, and keeps debris from working down into the gravel. There is also a layer of bulk filter material between the UGF plate and the gravel bed. Much less gravel, much more surface area for bio-filtration. Thin layer of gravel to siphon, easy to keep clean.

Back
Top Bottom