Which filter for 29g (overstocked) Goldfish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ridewithme38

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok i'm going out at my lunch break tomorrow from work and picking up one of these filters...

Here are my choices:

H.O.T. Magnum = $99.99 (250gph)(know NOTHING about this one except it looks cool)
AquaClear 110 = $89.99 (500gph)
Emperor 400 = $64.99 (400gph)

AquaClear 70 = $51.99 (300gph)(they were sold out of this tonight, might not have it tomorrow)

Which one would you get...The bold choices are my most likely buys...I've heard amazing reviews of the AquaClear...But the Emperor is $25 cheap and i've heard great things about that too...

Also, i'm going to run this side by side with my current filter...to establish bacteria...How long would you do that for?

Where do you live?

I have 2 Aquaclear 70's and I would gladly sell you one for $35. But to ship it, would probably kill the deal, with shipping costs and all...

I would go for the most GPH in this case. Although in my 46g bow front I run a 280 Emperor and a 200 Penguin. So Im moving 480 GPH total between the two.

you can get an aquaclear 70 off amazon for 35 but it appears you are in a rush to get it locally

the emperor 400 is a ton louder then my aquaclear 110. i am unsure if the hot magnum is worth the money. the aquaclear 110 is a lot of water movement, if they have the 70 back in stock, i think thats the one to get.

They were still out of the AquaClear 70....So i bought the Aquaclear 110, i know you can adjust the flow rate on these things...so i hope that helps

Actually I think you made the best buy as you said the tank is overstocked with Goldfish...usual rule is 10 X gallons which would be 300, but the 110 will give you more to help with the overstocking.

Thank you! Now I have my topfin 30 and the aquaclear 110 running right next to each other with a fluval prefilter on both. My goldfish don't seem to even realize the change but I'm going to give them a couple days to adjust.

BTW: I have a 29 gallon tank with three baby goldfish, a black moor, a fantail and a common goldfish. Most people would say I'm over stocked by a whole common, but they are still young

Back
Top Bottom