Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Which Filter(s) for 75 Gallon

Hello, I will be setting up a 75 gallon cichlid tank in the future. I have narrowed down a few filter choices below. Note that the filter will be used with a Hydor external inline heater. The tank will be viewable from both sides, so HOB filters are out of the question even though I do love my AQ that I have right now. If you could please recommend which would be best as well as the size and if I should run 1 or 2 of those filters at that particular size. Here is what I have narrowed it down to. Thanks!!

1. Hydor Proffessional cansister filter (I like that it will for sure work with the Hydor external inline heater)

2. Penn Plax Cascade canister filter (I like the price, but have heard they aren't very energy efficient)

3. API Filstar canister filter (Have heard many good things about these filters)

4. SunSun canister filter (I LOVE the price, but is it too good to be true?)

Again, I will be using the Hydor external heater (300w) so the filter hose size needs to be 5/8". I'm not sure what size hoses these filters run except for the Hydor. Also, please recommend the particular filter size I should get as well as if I should run 2 of those filters. Thanks!!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't be much more specific than to say the sun sun is as good as advertised. A few members here use them (brookster comes to mind), I have one ordered and am awaiting delivery. They are a solid filter per my understanding. Can't offer much more insight as I have no experience with the others.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
I can't be much more specific than to say the sun sun is as good as advertised. A few members here use them (brookster comes to mind), I have one ordered and am awaiting delivery. They are a solid filter per my understanding. Can't offer much more insight as I have no experience with the others.
Which size do you recommend for a 75 gallon? I'm thinking of running two Sunsun 303b
Old 11-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a cascade 1000 on my 75g..

Quiet as can be you would never know its running.

Paired with an Aquaclear 110 it keeps the tank clean enough for discus and a GBR.

Caleb
Old 11-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just bought a SunSun and im in love with the filter. Its only been running for a week so far.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go wiith two SunSun 303b's.

Now let's talk filter placement. Should I use the spray bar that is included with the filters? Should I use both spray bars? Where is the best place to locate the return lines and suctions lines when using 2 canister filters?
Old 11-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That really varies per tank where the best placement you feel is. I would use the spray bars (just personal preference) or some use a directional output.

Caleb
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
That really varies per tank where the best placement you feel is. I would use the spray bars (just personal preference) or some use a directional output.

Caleb
Alright I'll plan on using the spray bar from one of the filters. Should I have the two output hoses on the same side of the tank and then have the input hoses on the other side?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, filter, filters, gallon, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com