Which Filter(s) for 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCATHED

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I will be setting up a 75 gallon cichlid tank in the future. I have narrowed down a few filter choices below. Note that the filter will be used with a Hydor external inline heater. The tank will be viewable from both sides, so HOB filters are out of the question even though I do love my AQ that I have right now. If you could please recommend which would be best as well as the size and if I should run 1 or 2 of those filters at that particular size. Here is what I have narrowed it down to. Thanks!!

1. Hydor Proffessional cansister filter (I like that it will for sure work with the Hydor external inline heater)

2. Penn Plax Cascade canister filter (I like the price, but have heard they aren't very energy efficient)

3. API Filstar canister filter (Have heard many good things about these filters)

4. SunSun canister filter (I LOVE the price, but is it too good to be true?)

Again, I will be using the Hydor external heater (300w) so the filter hose size needs to be 5/8". I'm not sure what size hoses these filters run except for the Hydor. Also, please recommend the particular filter size I should get as well as if I should run 2 of those filters. Thanks!!

I can't be much more specific than to say the sun sun is as good as advertised. A few members here use them (brookster comes to mind), I have one ordered and am awaiting delivery. They are a solid filter per my understanding. Can't offer much more insight as I have no experience with the others.

I can't be much more specific than to say the sun sun is as good as advertised. A few members here use them (brookster comes to mind), I have one ordered and am awaiting delivery. They are a solid filter per my understanding. Can't offer much more insight as I have no experience with the others.

Which size do you recommend for a 75 gallon? I'm thinking of running two Sunsun 303b

I have a cascade 1000 on my 75g..

Quiet as can be you would never know its running.

Paired with an Aquaclear 110 it keeps the tank clean enough for discus and a GBR.

Caleb

I just bought a SunSun and im in love with the filter. Its only been running for a week so far.

Okay thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go wiith two SunSun 303b's.

Now let's talk filter placement. Should I use the spray bar that is included with the filters? Should I use both spray bars? Where is the best place to locate the return lines and suctions lines when using 2 canister filters?

That really varies per tank where the best placement you feel is. I would use the spray bars (just personal preference) or some use a directional output.

Caleb

That really varies per tank where the best placement you feel is. I would use the spray bars (just personal preference) or some use a directional output.

Caleb

Alright I'll plan on using the spray bar from one of the filters. Should I have the two output hoses on the same side of the tank and then have the input hoses on the other side?

Back
Top Bottom