Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Which filter should I get?
Eheim ECCO 2233 4 26.67%
Rena Filstar XP2 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Which filter should I get????

Okay, the choice is Rena Filstar XP2 or the Eheim ECCO 2233??

Each has merits. The ECCO 2233 is rated for up to 60 gallons and says it will do 145 gph, but I have heard that the Eheim ECCO is an awesome filter.

The XP2 is rated for a 75 gallon tank and is purported to do 300 gph (probably not). Whichever filter is going on my 55 set-up with an Aquaclear 70 that is rated for a tank up to 70 gallons and is said to do 300 gph.

Vote on which filter you would buy if it were up to you!! Thanks.

Unles your writing me a check, forget about money and focus on filter quality.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks like the Eheim includes all the media. That might be good or bad, depending on what you need and what it includes.

I don't have any personal experience wih Eheim, but their reputation is impeccable.

Myself, I don't trust anything that claims to be TOO easy to operate. I'm normally disappointed in those type of products; either because of quality or flexibility. With the Eheim, I would be concerned about one of the TWO latches breaking over time and causing a catastrophic failure while you're sleeping or at work. The Rena uses four (easily replaceable) toggle clamps. Even if one fails, you'll probably still be sealed tight. I also like the option to choose my own media.

The out-the-door price on the Rena is higher because of the need for media.

I would pick the Rena.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
i personally love both of these filters ... I personally run an Eheim filter and WOW is all that i can say. it is a top of the line filter in my opinion. I personally rate almost all eheim filter products above all else. Though i do believe that for canister filters that Rena Filstars are second.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm in the process of buying the rena Xp2 also for a 55g planted tank. After reading all I could on this site and the price at Big Als it sounds like we can't go wrong. AL
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHobbies
I'm in the process of buying the rena Xp2 also for a 55g planted tank.
I've just completed the same purchase for the same reason.

I've also got a XP2 on a 44g pentagon that does a great job for me.

I'd highly recommend it.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If money wasn't a factor, I'd take the Eheim...just because money HAS always been a factor, and so I've never owned an eheim.

Honestly I think either will do a fine job. The eheim's are supposed to be very quiet, but I hardly hear my XP2 or XP3. Then again a very quiet hum has never really bothered me, having grown up with airstone pumps running all night in my bedroom
Old 01-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I wouldn't buy either, as you don't need it. The AC will do the job just fine, and is easier to maintain.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Well, that's probably true, but I really want to be way overfiltered (just like on my 29 and my 10) because I want to keep rams and angels. If I can get a good bid price on one of these I will be happy as a lark. I know the AC 70 is probably a really good filter, but IMO you can never have enough filtration.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
I had an ecco and an xp1... and I found that for the same size filter.. the xp1 filtered much more water.... !!!! so check the gph before you make a final decision. I do love the xp1 now that i have it.

the ecco was easy to use too.. but it was hard to give up teh extra power.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you want to keep angels I would buy the eheim because the flow rate won't be to high, but still enough.

And nearly every part for the eheim is readily available to replace.

Check this link out if in doubt. Just click on spare parts in the service area on the left side of the menu once you enter.

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/

Good luck

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com