Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

More great ideas! I hope the breeding part is relatively easy. Once i breed them. i have to care for the larvae until their big enough to take a genetic sample. And for that part of the experiment its absolutely necesary that the water parameters and other variables remain constant. I would like to know more about how to connect the tanks. I didnt quite understand what you were saying PAT8YOU but it sounded good. lol. can you send me an article or tell me more on how that works?

Also! thanks for tellin me to stay away from undergravel filters guys! I had my suspicions as to their usefulness....

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definately go with pat's idea,have all the tanks side by side and connect the first to the second,second to the third etc,using 1"pvc pipe then from the last tank plumb to a tank which will have no fish but will have the heaters and filters,you could just use a decent amount of Live rock for filtration otherwise use a cannister,you you then need a return pump to pump the water back to the first tank.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay so now i have even more questions!!
The PVC pipes would be one one set pumping water into the tanks and one set sucking it into the filter? would they need to extend down to the bottom of the tank? Has anyone ever done this? I need to see pictures!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats not quite right,I can't post any pictures right now but there is a picture in my profile under current stock which will help you
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I've only heard bad things about under gravel filters. They end up getting clogged over time and have to be removed for clean. Not sure if you are planning on putting gravel in there or not but most breeders go bare bottom on their tanks because it is easier to siphon left over food and waste out before it becomes a problem.

I don't know how the $ would turn out in this idea but you can crunch some numbers and check it out. If you pick up a rubbermaid container or something similar and cheap you can use that as a common pool for your tanks if you plumb them together. PVC is cheap and then you could buy one nice filter and put it in that tank.

Couple advantages to this that might be worth considering
-one filter will make maintenance considerably easier
-a common water pool helps to keep your water parameters more stable
- extra tank can be used to house other common equipment like heaters and media reactors.
i am not a fan of UGF but people have used them for years and lots of people still use them. though the best way to use them would as a reverse under ground filter. doing this it pushes the water down though the pipes and up though the substrate. this helps turn the whole gravel bed into a bio filter. as for clogging like anything if you dont maintain it it wont work right. just like if you ran a canister and never clean it finally it will stop pumping any water at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
More great ideas! I hope the breeding part is relatively easy. Once i breed them. i have to care for the larvae until their big enough to take a genetic sample. And for that part of the experiment its absolutely necesary that the water parameters and other variables remain constant. I would like to know more about how to connect the tanks. I didnt quite understand what you were saying PAT8YOU but it sounded good. lol. can you send me an article or tell me more on how that works?

Also! thanks for tellin me to stay away from undergravel filters guys! I had my suspicions as to their usefulness....
dont take this personally but why are you doing this? you dont seem to know about keeping fish. its not as easy as tossing some fish in breeding and netting out fry. i see several holes in your idea. like the inch per gallon is a myth it doesnt work in most all cases..... also expecting to keep 4-5 inch fish in a 30 gallon tank.... do you know about the water they come from? do you know how to take care of the fry? diet of the fish?

while it might seem like a noble idea.... though when dealing with endangered fish personally feel its better to leave things to people who know what they are doing. or at least learn the basics before working with endangered fish.

Quote:
you could just use a decent amount of Live rock for filtration
i believe these are fw though i could be wrong.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well Im an undergrad student and I got hired to do this job....so of course IM going to try to do my best! I know I dont have the experience but Im trying to learn from other people. I STILL dont know which filter to use! it seems like its all a matter of opinion. BUT i did read that undergravel filtration doesnt have the chemical filtration aspect that is needed so I had decided to not use them at all. I do know about the fishes habitat and diet. I have some experience caring for fry but not with success
I did everything right but then they just started dying 1-2 at a time. I think it had to do with not eating...but even the ones that were growing died off eventually so Im not sure. I dont think it had anything to do with water parameters. but maybe the water changes were too shocking? Could have been a combination of both.

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com