Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lightbulb Which filter should I use.....

Hey! first time aquarist over here!
Im going to be breeding some endangered fish for a research project to study their genetics.
Anyhoo, Ill be using 30-40gal tanks that have a large lip on the top so I cant use the hang-on-the-back power filters.
Ill be having 10-15 fish per tank depending on thier size. i was going by the "inch of fish per gallon" rule.
So Im debating using undergravel but that dont provide chemical filtration. OR the cheapie corner filtration..maybe 2 per tank?

ALSO! anyone with breeding experience that could help me out! or give me a link would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you could use a canister filter but those are a bit pricey.

and not many people will actually use the 1inch of fish per gallon. ...think about this way...this is just an example...but a 10 inch fish, in a 20gal tank, doesn't give them that much swimming room. you'll have to do some research on what kind of fish you're actually going to be getting. another example, a green spotted puffer needs a minimum of 30gals of space to himself.

one more thing, are you aware of the nitrogen cycle....and cycling tanks? heres a link for you, check it out...
Fishless Cycling

just a question what kind of fish were thinking of researching?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

they are endemic species of chub to california. they grow about 4-5 inches in 2 years but one of the subspecies gets to about seven. thanks 4 the article i needed a more step-by-step approach. i knew about the nitrogen cycle but after reading it i see i did a few things wrong!!

So i cant get to pricey...ya know funding. and im going to have about seven tanks total. so do you think undergravel is the way to go?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i'm not to firmiliar with undergravel filters. you can try sponge filters...they are relatively cheap . my lfs, which is basically like a 'ma and pa' shop, uses them in all their tanks. i dont know if they are that good by themselves tho. i know some people use them as a back up
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
nah i would just go with 2 AC70's per tank, go to amazon.com, they have the pretty cheap filters on there, you save about 20-30$ per filter, if you are a college student, you can sign up for amazon prime and you can save money on shipping
Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

they wont fit because im not using a normal aquarium. I can figure out how to use/attach one of those in a good way. thats why i wanted to go with in-tank hardware....i think?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
what do you mean you aint using a normal aquarium??? is there atleast one straight side???
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

no theres not. theres about 1 inch lip on all sides. its a fiber glass tank for experiments not display ya know. thanks 4 trying to help me out you guys!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I've only heard bad things about under gravel filters. They end up getting clogged over time and have to be removed for clean. Not sure if you are planning on putting gravel in there or not but most breeders go bare bottom on their tanks because it is easier to siphon left over food and waste out before it becomes a problem.

I don't know how the $ would turn out in this idea but you can crunch some numbers and check it out. If you pick up a rubbermaid container or something similar and cheap you can use that as a common pool for your tanks if you plumb them together. PVC is cheap and then you could buy one nice filter and put it in that tank.

Couple advantages to this that might be worth considering
-one filter will make maintenance considerably easier
-a common water pool helps to keep your water parameters more stable
- extra tank can be used to house other common equipment like heaters and media reactors.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, if the tanks can't handle an HOB due to the size of their lip, and canister filters are out because of the cost, you really don't have very many options.

If I were you, I might try to go with a combination of 1 corner ("box" or "internal") filter and one good-sized sponge filter in each tank. The Hydro-Sponge filters have a good reputation; I currently use those in my freshwater shrimp tanks and they do a fine job. This one would probably be the size for tanks you are describing. I'd personally stay away from under-gravel filters, they can be a pain when it comes to maintenance and sometimes can make your life much more difficult when it comes to keeping the substrate clean.

I don't know the first thing about the particular species of fish you are dealing with, but when it comes to breeding fish in general, the things that are going to help with having success would be:

• keeping your water clean--ammonia & nitrites zero, and nitrates at a minimum
  • water parameters as close as possible to what the fish have in their native habitat (pH, temperature, GH/KH hardness, TDS)
  • tank setup as close to their natural biotope as possible (do they come from waterways with lots of plants or very few? Can you grow in your tank native species of plants, or others that are very similar in appearance? Are they used to rocky bottoms or sandy? etc.)
  • An understanding of whether or not adults will cannibalize their own fry; if they will, then you need to have plans to remove the adults to different tanks after the fry are born/hatched
  • live food, and lots of it. While some species of fish can and will breed on a diet of commercial fish flakes, many fish are less likely to breed (or will not breed at all) without a diet of live foods

If the fish you are getting are actually tank-raised (and have never been in the wild), then when it comes to water parameters you would want to make sure yours were reasonably close to the tanks from which they came.

Good luck with your project. Please keep us informed.

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com