Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Question Which filter would you use?

Hi all,

I'll soon be setting up a 10g as a grow out tank for some platy fry spawned by my sex-maniac platys. (I'd swear you can hear the Barry White tunes coming from their tank at night... )

Which filter do you think would be better: a sponge filter or an AC20? I've already bought a new AC 20, but I began to think a sponge might be better for this particular purpose. They seem to have greater biofiltration and the tank is bond to be a bit overstocked as they grow. (I plan to do frequent water changes.)

I don't mind keeping the AC 20 as a spare for a while: once the platys are grown and gone, I might swap it in and keep some small species in the tank.

Which would you choose?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I prefer HOBs... But for fry I have always been a firm believer in sponge. Its just safer.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

-- Rob
-- Always searching...
Ashenwelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. The fish I'd move aren't really newborn fry, more liked juveniles -- platy shaped and colored, but tiny. No way I could catch the fry: they're expert at hiding amongst the plants.

I may just go with the AC 20. This will be in the living room, and I really don't want to be bothered with the buzzing of the air-pump.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could put a foam prefilter on the AC20.

-- Rob
-- Always searching...
Ashenwelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love my AC50 filter and I have a prefilter sponge over my fry tank one. Sometimes slows down the movement and you'll probably have to replace them if it isn't a good quality one (I get mine online, the Fluval ones get all squeezed up too quickly) and clean them every so often.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenwelt View Post
You could put a foam prefilter on the AC20.

Do they make one small enough for an AC20? I might just slice open a filter foam block.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppygourami View Post
I love my AC50 filter and I have a prefilter sponge over my fry tank one. Sometimes slows down the movement and you'll probably have to replace them if it isn't a good quality one (I get mine online, the Fluval ones get all squeezed up too quickly) and clean them every so often.
Where do you get yours?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use some I get from Home Depot . They are in the pond dept . A 2 pack is about $10 , but I cut them in half so I get 4 . I like them because they are fine enough to catch debris , but coarse enough that they don't clog so fast . I rinse them once a week at WC's , but could go longer . I just do it while I have the filters off for WC . They do have a hole all the way through , but I just cut a small piece of any kind of scrap sponge I have and stick it in the end . If they are too big just use a rubber band to keep it on . I use them on some Marineland filters that have big intakes and I can get them to stretch over with a little effort .
Old 08-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Where do you get yours?

Online for about 50 cents each. I use a website called AliExpress and it takes a long time to get here but the shipping's free (and that's a relief since I live in Canada). I get about 4 every couple months and they last a long time. The Fluval ones never lasted more than a week for me.

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com