Which heater brand is best In your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
I needed to order 2 heaters for my 90 gallon. Which one has the best brand, Jager, Visitherm stealth, or another?

Also, submersible is the best (as heat rises), and place them at the bottom.... correct?

Ebo Jager and Visitherm are the only submersibles I use. I like the Hydor ETH in-line heater on my 75gallon though. Less tank clutter, and is perfect if you have a canister filter.

malkore said:
Ebo Jager and Visitherm are the only submersibles I use. I like the Hydor ETH in-line heater on my 75gallon though. Less tank clutter, and is perfect if you have a canister filter.

I just looked at one... awesome. But the one I saw (200 watt) wouldnt be enough..... are there more? (there arent any at big als)
I should probly get a canister for a 90-100 gallon tall, right?

Also, what is the best thermometer? Electric, but do you like one over the other?

The largest ETH heater is 300 watts. may not be quite enough for a 90-100 gallon. its enough for my 75gal in the winter in a drafty area though, so it might work on a 90 if the wall its on isnt' an exterior wall (usually a cold wall).

I'd run one, or even two canisters on a tank that size. Two if you plan to keep 'messy' fish, like cichlids, an oscar, goldies...any carnivores.

I run coralife digital thermometers on all my tanks, mainly because i got them for $10 at the LFS...one of the few items he doesn't have to mark up a ton. Online I think they go for $6 though.

I have visitherms and love those but I recently aquired a 300w all glass heater for my 55 gal water storage tank in my basment and it holds the temp you set it at and my basement only gets to 65 degrees at best plus the heater is solid state(it turns off out of water).

kyektulu said:
I believe Visi-Therm are the best type of heaters I use them in all my tanks, and I have a few. ;)

What are the differences between a stealth and a regular visitherm?

I prefer the older green-top Jagers over the new blue top (since Eheim bought them). My favorite, though, is Visi-therm Stealth. IMHO, the more one reliable available right now if you can't get the green top Jager.

A regular Visi-therm is glass and shatters quite easily. The Stealth has an auto shut-off feature, is black so its easily hidden, and is difficult to break.

If your running cannister filters the Hydor ETH inline heaters are the best.Tank water is uniformly heated at the filter return line. At 5 watts per gallon/450 watts, one ETH 300 and one ETH 200, if your using two cannisters, would be excellent. Maybe one ETH 300 and one Won Pro 150 watt submersible if using one cannister.

i solely use Won Brothers titanium heaters and Ebo Jäger heaters. Best on the market in my opinion

I vote for Won Bros. heaters as well. I have both of my tanks in my basement ( both 90 gal). One is in a drafty cold place, so I use a 500 wt there. The warmer room I use a 350 wt that works well. What ever you chose, don't under watt yourself. Heaters that have to run constantly will burn themselves out rather fast. JMO

Fishyfanatic said:
A regular Visi-therm is glass and shatters quite easily. The Stealth has an auto shut-off feature, is black so its easily hidden, and is difficult to break.

I was going to say that, u got there b4 me. 8)

Visi-Therm is made by Marineland, an American company. The heaters are built in Italy.

i've gone through 3 heaters now in about 1.5 weeks. the first two were cheapo's and died on me (taking some poor fishies with them =( ); i finally got a visi-therm stealth and it's been performing great.

a hint if you live near a petsmart: go to their website and print out their heater prices (they're almost 1/2 those in store). they honored those prices when shown the printouts (at least at our local petsmart).

Visitherm stealth lover here......very reliable. Coralife digital thermometers as well....once again, very reliable.

Back
Top Bottom