Which HOB Would You Pick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Again Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread; for some reason, I had not received a message stating I got any more replies...

I seemed to have learned the hard way that what manufacturers claim on their packaging regarding their filters is pretty much useless, as FishGuy explained...it appears that my Aqueon QuietFlow "55" is not really filtering anything remotely useful in my 60-gallon, and neither is the "20" model I bought just to supplement the larger 55.

At this point, because the water in my tank has become horiffically cloudy yet again, I am beginning to lose all hope in these Aqueons, and ready to begin moving to something a lot more powerful...

What about the specifications regarding the AquaClear 110...are these hogwash too in terms of what they'll filter? Would one 110 be okay on my 60-gallon?

An AquaClear 110 and some water changes should get you back on track.

An AquaClear 110 and some water changes should get you back on track.

Thanks Fish...

Would you recommend just one AquaClear along with my Aqueon 55? Would that be sufficient filtration at this point, do you think?

If you have the money you could go with a canister filter. I have a Fluval 404 on my 55 gal. and it does a GREAT job! I'll never run a hang on back filter again.

I would start with just one AC110, but if the tank proves it needs a little more I would do a second AC110.

Exactly. If you have enough mechanical filtration the water will be clear. If you have enough biological filtration the ammonia and nitrite will always be 0 (after it is cycled), and you have enough flow if there are no to only a few small piles of debris.

Exactly. If you have enough mechanical filtration the water will be clear. If you have enough biological filtration the ammonia and nitrite will always be 0 (after it is cycled), and you have enough flow if there are no to only a few small piles of debris.

Thanks, Fish.

In the event the water returns to this state of cloudiness and haze with the one AquaClear, are you suggesting I then get a second 110 to replace the Aqueon with?

Thanks -- I actually pulled the trigger on a model 110 tonight and it's running in the tank now, so I will begin a new thread on that regarding questions I have and allow mods to shut down these subsequent threads...

Back
Top Bottom