Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #31

So, have we come any closer to some kind of concensus here for me? I know FishGuy recommends keeping my Aqueons on for now, and then perhaps adding the AquaClear later on (unless I was mistaken), and I think that may be a solid plan...

I'm thinking of keeping my QuietFlow 55 on at least because that's the bigger filter, and just replacing the QuietFlow 30, which doesn't seem to be doing anything on the opposite side of the tank, to be honest -- I'd replace the 30 with an AquaClear 110, so it would be the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and the AquaClear 110 running the tank...would this make for adequate flow and exchange/return rates?

Are there any other HOB brands I should be exploring or considering outside of Tetra, Marineland or AquaClear?

Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you have another filter and its working for it keep it. if at some time you want to add another filter to the tank/breaks down/ new tank get a aquaclear. i find it very hand to stick to one brand of filters that way you always have parts or extra media or something. i only run aquaclears since they give you the best options for media. they are also work horses. i been running them for years with out any problems.

on the 60 gallon tank the 3 filters you have should be fine. if you want to upgrade ac 110 would be the way to go. i would take out the small filters.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer20o0 View Post
if you have another filter and its working for it keep it. if at some time you want to add another filter to the tank/breaks down/ new tank get a aquaclear. i find it very hand to stick to one brand of filters that way you always have parts or extra media or something. i only run aquaclears since they give you the best options for media. they are also work horses. i been running them for years with out any problems.

on the 60 gallon tank the 3 filters you have should be fine. if you want to upgrade ac 110 would be the way to go. i would take out the small filters.
Gamer,

Right now, I don't have three filters running -- just two Aqueons, one QuietFlow 55 and a second QuietFlow 30 to supplement the 55; are you saying keep these and not get a new AquaClear, or add the AquaClear to the Aqueon 55?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

i went by your sig thats why. if they are working for you keep them. if you are having problems with them then think about switching. if you do switch personally i would go with a ac110. i dont know if i would go out and buy a new filter just because.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #35

Oh, the Tetra Whisper is actually an air pump for the bubble wands, not a filter -- I guess I need to specifiy that in the signature...

As for them "working for me," that's what I'm wondering -- would the AquaClears make a difference in terms of clearer water?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually just picked up a redesigned whisper power filter and there awesome! Usually I'm a marineland guy (the emperor power filters being the king IMO) but I'd have to say these whisper filters are pretty cool.

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...tid=19169&r=33

It has some kind of strip deal to tell you exactly when your carbon is exhausted and a new cartridge is needed and the bio scrubber technology it uses is pretty cool, self priming too. I'd say to give that a try or go with the emperor power filter, just stay away from the penguins the emps are better for the spray bar.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster View Post
I actually just picked up a redesigned whisper power filter and there awesome! Usually I'm a marineland guy (the emperor power filters being the king IMO) but I'd have to say these whisper filters are pretty cool.

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...tid=19169&r=33

It has some kind of strip deal to tell you exactly when your carbon is exhausted and a new cartridge is needed and the bio scrubber technology it uses is pretty cool, self priming too. I'd say to give that a try or go with the emperor power filter, just stay away from the penguins the emps are better for the spray bar.
Thanks!

I think I noticed these on Tetra's site; is there a model good for up to 60 gallons?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #38

Yet again...

Like just about every other HOB out there the media for these is a dinky little slide-in cartridge with a thin layer of floss and a sprinkling of carbon. Compare that to the media in an AquaClear and you will see a massive difference in the amount of media.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
Thanks!

I think I noticed these on Tetra's site; is there a model good for up to 60 gallons?
Yes I believe there's a double fall style whisper that is good up to a 70 gallon tank.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #40

If it is claiming 'up to' 70 gallons that means it is really good for about 35 gallons (of moderate stock of community fish). Always cut what they claim in half, with any company.

Tags
hob, ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com