Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Which HOB Would You Pick?

Between an AquaClear, Marineland and possibly a Tetra Whisper, which HOB filter would be the best pick? I'm still debating getting rid of my two Aqueon QuietFlows because I just cannot seem to establish clear water in my 60-gallon, and I'm beginning to get fed up with these filters' operation -- I mean, I'm running TWO filters in my tank, and the water still isn't clear (unless my fluorescent lights are creating the smoky, whispy look in the water below...).

The Marineland PRO line seems interesting (what is it...an Emperor or Penguin?) because it has dual waterfalls, but I keep hearing about the AquaClears. Is there one that is going to yield cleaner/clearer water over the other? What would be recommended for a 60-gallon with fancy goldfish that need a lot of filtration?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you're going HOB i always liked the aquaclears. they hold a lot of media and last a long time. for a gold fish tank i would get 2 AC70's or an AC110.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
if you're going HOB i always liked the aquaclears. they hold a lot of media and last a long time. for a gold fish tank i would get 2 AC70's or an AC110.
Thanks Matt.

I am hearing great things about the AquaClears as well, but also heard the BIOWheel system on the Marinelands are great too...would the AquaClear outperform my current Aqueon, do you think? Further, is a 110 model good enough for a 60-gallon goldfish tank?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #4

Go with the AquaClears. If you want a Biowheel make a DIY add-on to the AquaClear.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

depends on how many gold fish you have in the tank. the 2 AC70's would probably be better. you can even go with 2 AC110's too but i don't know what funds you have either. i dont have experience with goldfish myself just going on what i've read over the years here so hopefully some goldy will chime in for more experienced advice.

i can't really comment on whether the aqeon is better or the aquaclear. i started with the aquaclear 50 for my 40g tall tank almost 3 years ago and they were so easy to use and worked so well that i never felt the urge to try any other hob. actually i do have a little penn-plax and whisper hob that i got free with some tanks and i used them for a short while just to transfer the bacteria and now i dont use them. i'd say they were only good for a 10g so not much comparison there.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Go with the AquaClears. If you want a Biowheel make a DIY add-on to the AquaClear.
Thanks Fish.

Indeed, the AquaClear seems to be the concensus here; I wouldn't trust myself to do anything DIY, but I appreciate the tip.

What is so bad about the Marinelands that you wouldn't recommend it over an AquaClear? What intrigues me about the big Marineland is that it has dual waterfalls and it seems like it could hang towards the middle of the back of my tank, with the waterfalls on either side of the glass partition I have at the top of the tank (don't know why that's there really) and it would make for a good setup...

What do you think?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
depends on how many gold fish you have in the tank. the 2 AC70's would probably be better. you can even go with 2 AC110's too but i don't know what funds you have either. i dont have experience with goldfish myself just going on what i've read over the years here so hopefully some goldy will chime in for more experienced advice.
I have three small-to-very-medium-sized fancytails in there now, with no intentions of getting any more until my water situation stabilizes (a never-ending saga so it seems). Do you think two 110s would be overkill for a 60 gallon?

Everyone keeps mentioning the budget for these filters -- are they really that expensive? They have them at my local PetSmart...
Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

I would do the two AC110s.

I have yet to see a HOB that can stadle a centerbrace.

Biowheel filters are just like most filters in that their media is just thin little cartridges that slide in. Even on the largest one you get a max of four. Lay those out next to the media from one AC110 and you will see why people like the AC better.

I think the AC110 is priced very well, even in stores. Shop online and you can get an even better deal.

The only bad thing at all about the ACs is the intake strainer, it is very small and can grab small fish and snails. This is just something to be aware of before you learn the hard way.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Expensive is a very relative term. to some an AC 110 would be expensive. to others it's cheap. it depends on the budget and income.

that center brace is there to keep the front and back glass from bowing out and breaking. it allows the manufacturer to use thinner glass thus cutting weight and costs.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like my AC50 on my 20g but i reall wish the strainer could be like my whisper on my 10g i also like the AC type filters because u can turn down flow if you really need to ( for sensitive fish) i never messed with BIO wheels so i dont know the diffrence but AC filters u can add a variety of media to that filter

Tags
hob, ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com