Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Which is your favorite ATO?

Hey guys, I am in the market to buy an ATO for my 29 gallon reef tank. There are so many choices to choose from! What is your personal favorite that is reliable and you would trust to go on vacation with?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the JBJs on two of my tanks and have had no issues after adjusting the cut off time to keep up with the evaporation in my 65 and 75.

I think the Tunzes are considered the gold standard, but their price tag is much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! I'll have to do some research on them!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another option are the ones from autotopoff.com. They are very reasonably priced and I hear good things about them.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I like the hydor smart controller. It has many saftey precautions and works with every/most pumps. And no moving parts! Definitliy would recomend it!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think it would work perfectly for a 29 gallon tank with a aqualifter pump.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run three jbj's and have never had any issues with them in the several years that I have been running them.

I also run a tunze mini ato on my 40b which is super awesome for that size tank. It has shutoffs so that it wont overflow and it only pumps in a small amount of water since its the nano version so thats another way it wont overflow the tank. I find the tunze to be perfect for smaller tanks and the JBJ's for larger tanks.

The tunze is a little more money than the jbj but it comes with the pump already and it looks so clean and sleek, even has a holder for the tubing that pumps the water into the sump/overflow so the hose wont pop off and cause a flood. Great quality too, you can feel it's worth the extra $$ just by holding it.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay sounds great! It seems to me the best bang for the buck is the tunze since it comes with it's own pump already, plus it's fail safe. They all look great though. I just want the perfect fit for my tank

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com