Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Which light gives me blueish color?

I have a standard hood (20 gal long) and need a new bulb for just fish. It is a flourescent bulb with the two prongs on either end. No plants or corals. Just want something that gives me a more blue color vs yellowish or white. Even with the Zoo Med lights there are a bunch of options but cant find a resource that actually shows what the light looks like. Which would be my best option and I only mention zoo med because I see it at all the stores. I am open to anything.

Thanks for help

Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Doesn't really matter what brand. The color temperature is what you're looking for. As you get lower, light gets more red/yellow. The higher the number, the bluer. If you get a 10,000k bulb, you're going to have a nice white light. I wouldn't say it has much blue in it, but definitely not pink or yellow. As you get up in the 14000k-20,000k, you get in to the bluer light. Now if you want BLUE, a 420nm actinic bulb will do that. Almost purple blue. You don't want a single actinic as it won't give you any color at all IMO.

I have two lights on my 150g. No plants either, so it's just two 32w t8 bulbs. One's a 10,000k and one is an actinic. I get a nice bright light with blue tint when both are running.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Continuing on what mfdrookie said, you could get a 50/50 bulb, which is half 10000k and half actinic. It's still got the blue of actinic, but it's not pure blue.
jenatron is offline   Reply With Quote

color, ich, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com