Which light system would work for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody,
I planted for now java moss and dwarf hair into my 75 gal (48") tank. My tank came with the cheapest light there is and I would like to invest in something nicer.
Now as beginner the information about different light systems are very confusing.
I will tell you what I would like and you can maybe tell me what to look for.

1. I am planning on much more plants that will need strong light.
2. I love the night light option on LED systems
3. It needs to have the special color light for plants. ( I can't remember what it calls...but apparently it's something most lights don't have)
4. It has to be in the $200-$300 price range...not more!

Any ideas?

Look up dual or quad t-5 ho fixtures. They are excellent value for the price and are the best option besides really high quality leds. You can probably get a nice t-5 ho fixture for around $200 and you can grow a lot of plants with that. Will you be using co2 or not? That will determine how high of light you can have without algae problems.

Look up dual or quad t-5 ho fixtures. They are excellent value for the price and are the best option besides really high quality leds. You can probably get a nice t-5 ho fixture for around $200 and you can grow a lot of plants with that. Will you be using co2 or not? That will determine how high of light you can have without algae problems.
This co2 thing is another very confusing thing to me :cool: I must admit that I don't understand it at all. :blink:

What is the difference between dual and quad?

$200 must be a price in the states. Any t-5 systems I am looking at here in Canada starting at $400 for 48" :eek:

Buying online in the states doesn't make sense either due to ridiculous shipping cost.
wow I can't believe how expensive this is.

What is the difference between dual and quad? $200 must be a price in the states. Any t-5 systems I am looking at here in Canada starting at $400 for 48" :eek: Buying online in the states doesn't make sense either due to ridiculous shipping cost. wow I can't believe how expensive this is.
shoot! I was going to say Petco is liquidating their t5 rigs right now...

shoot! I was going to say Petco is liquidating their t5 rigs right now...
I called Petco today. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada:banghead:

Do the t5 systems have the Luna Light too? Or are they simply just daytime light on and off?
And what about the double LED systems? Apparently they are good for plants too? oaaa please help. The light thing is so tricky and with such a big investment I need to be sure to buy the right thing.

I called Petco today. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada:banghead: Do the t5 systems have the Luna Light too? Or are they simply just daytime light on and off? And what about the double LED systems? Apparently they are good for plants too? oaaa please help. The light thing is so tricky and with such a big investment I need to be sure to buy the right thing.
I think led is the way to go anyways.. I just got the aqueon modular led for my 29 low light planted! The moon light setting is way cool! I have 60 days to return it so let's see how my plants do. Have you looked into build my LEDs? They look great, right around $200 I think..

I think led is the way to go anyways.. I just got the aqueon modular led for my 29 low light planted! The moon light setting is way cool! I have 60 days to return it so let's see how my plants do. Have you looked into build my LEDs? They look great, right around $200 I think..
Hey Brookster :)
what do you mean by: have you looked into build my LED's?

Hello! It's a brand, sorry, google "build my led" they're awesome!
lol ok just checked them out. They look truly awesome and the price is not to bad.
Do you have any idea what they mean by viewing light? That was one of the options when one has to select the light level. Options there are: viewing light, medium light, strong light and ultra strong.
Is viewing light just a different name for low light?
:fish2:

lol ok just checked them out. They look truly awesome and the price is not to bad. Do you have any idea what they mean by viewing light? That was one of the options when one has to select the light level. Options there are: viewing light, medium light, strong light and ultra strong. Is viewing light just a different name for low light? :fish2:
viewing would be no plants, fish viewing only, I'd say for your application the Dutch style 6700k would be a good choice.

Viewing light

Found the explanation on the Company side:
Viewing Light is for situations where the customer does not intend to use CO2 and wants an aquarium where they will be able to observe fish and easily grow lower light plants such as java fern, mosses and Anubias -- all of these should thrive under this light level if they receive proper fertilization.

What plants do you want? If I remember correctly ..you liked dwarf hair grass?

What plants do you want? If I remember correctly ..you liked dwarf hair grass?
yep. I planted already dwarf hair and java moss. Java fern will be next.
Are there any high growing plants (for the Angel fish) that doesn't need much light either?
Same question for floating plants. Would like some to keep darker corners for the cory where they like to rest during the day and also for the silver hatchetfish if I get them which I probably will.

Need to find plants that require the same low to medium light needs.:flowers:

Zoo Med

How about this one here?
Zoo Med AquaSun LED HO Aquarium Fixture
seen it at big al's.
It has a plant mode so I am assuming that it is fine for my plants.
I most definitely like the price.
The beautiful* build my LED Dutch fixture* would be including shipping around $350. That's for my wallet just way to much.:huh:

How about this one here? Zoo Med AquaSun LED HO Aquarium Fixture seen it at big al's. It has a plant mode so I am assuming that it is fine for my plants. I most definitely like the price. The beautiful* build my LED Dutch fixture* would be including shipping around $350. That's for my wallet just way to much.:huh:
the dwarf hair grass is going to require med/high light to thrive. That aqua sun is a t5ho correct?

Yes! The t5 ho should work, the only issue I'm seeing, keep in mind I'm a plant noob too.. The ultra low light java's and the high light dhg, are you planning on dosing ferts at all?

Back
Top Bottom