which of these 2 filters is better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawzforlife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought this "Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filters #200"
pic is of the 350, I have the 200 with only one wheel
info link
4%5C4743150363B.jpg

and as you may have read it is very loud after having it for a week, so I'll give it another week and see if it gets quiter. If not I was looking at this..

Marineland HOT Magnum Hang On Tank Convertible Canister Filter
info link
4%5C4743190134B.jpg

I had a Marineland HOT before, and liked it, but it looks like its only a 2 stage filter, where the BIO-wheel is a 3 stage.

So which one is better?

The magnum has the benefit of a micron filter which can be installed with diatom powder to help remove ANY floating organics (including green water)..

As for the noisy penguin, if it's anything like the tetra whisper motors, sometimes the impeller doesn't seat right, taking it apart and making sure everything is tight will often either a) point out the part making noise or b) fix the problem completely...

If it still gives you probs, take it back to the store and ask them to replace the motor (or bring in the motor, but call ahead first)..

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
As for the noisy penguin, if it's anything like the tetra whisper motors, sometimes the impeller doesn't seat right, taking it apart and making sure everything is tight will often either a) point out the part making noise or b) fix the problem completely...

If it still gives you probs, take it back to the store and ask them to replace the motor (or bring in the motor, but call ahead first)..

the motor noise does not bother me.
Its the water the gets lifted up by the bio-wheel, then spashes down.

Pretty much all HOBs - biowheel or not - will produce some splashing noise. The only thing you can do is keep the water level filled to the top to minimize splashing. A hinged glass top prevents evaporation much better than a plastic hood.

I've tried that water level at many differant spots and I've noticed the least amount of noise is if the water lever just touches the out spout. IF I cover the out sput completly the noise is louder and I water water splashing out and onto my light fixture.

Back
Top Bottom