Which paint do i use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently got a new 29 gallon tank, and i was wondering before i set it up what kind of paint do i use to paint the outside panel of glass on the back. thanks alot

seacat

I went to Wal-mart in the craft section and picked up some glass paint! They have a couple different shades of blue and black of course! It works pretty good, no streaks or anything!

I have heard of people using spray paint ... just be careful of overspray!

just use any oil based paint from your local hardware store.Its cheaper then glass paint and it does the same job Dont use water based as it will just wash of when it gets wet.

My glass paint from Wal-Mart was only like $0.97 for a tube! I used 2 tubes to cover the back of my 29 gallon! I used black and it is nice and dark!

I've tried both latex house paint, and acrylic craft paint...what I think Jermz is talking about.
Both worked well. Latex will peel off as a large sheet, acrylic isn't so easy to remove, but does still come off pretty easily, just involves more time with a razor blade to scrape.

Yeah malkore I do believe that the paint I used is acrylic! It definitely doesn't peel off to easily that's for sure!

i used a black oil based paint on mine. looks great, just be careful when moving anything on the tank. without thinking i slid my skimmer over an inch and it left a nice scratch in the paint. luckily it's hardly noticeable

As long as you have a GLASS tank, you dont need to worry about slopping over. Paint scrapes right off of glass with a razor. If you have acrylic tank then it may get all scratched up when you scrape it.

So is there any recommended why on how to paint it? Like a roller or a brush. and how long do you think i should let it sit before i set it up, to make sure its dry?

I rolled mine with one of those mini rollers! I let it sit 24 hours before filling it up, but I think that within an hour or two it was completely dry!

Back
Top Bottom