which tank and what light!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im going to either be getting a 26 gallon bowfront or a 30 gallon long, which is better for a reef tank?the 30 longs dimensions are 36" L x 18"Wx 12" the 26 bowfront is 24x15x21. which should i choose? they are bnoth the same price, i like the bow look better but i also want a decent amount of fish. as for lighting, i need a good light that is very cheap 125 or less, nothing fancy. I only plan on doing softs and lps

The bowfront will be cheaper to put lights over since it is shorter. You will be restricted to probably 3-4 fish in either tank because of the size. The 30 will give active/open water fish a bit more room to swim. Both are going to have good and bad but i would pick the bowfront personally. I think the dimensions just look better. The 30 long is more like a frag tank then a display in my opinion.

2 x 24 watts is going to restrict you as far as coral go a little bit. If i were you i would get the tank set up and cycling and then when it is done put a fish or two in there before you start on coral. You can use something temporary to light the tank while you save up a little and get a 4 x 24w T5 fixture.

That would probably be ok for the 30 gallon because it is such a shallow tank. You would probably be able to keep most softy and some LPS coral.

3-4 fish is just kind of a general starting place for that size tank. If you have really small non-aggressive fish you might be able to put more but i wouldn't plan on going any higher then 4-5. 30 gallons is still not a really big tank.

i planned on some small goby or ORA mandain(i know a not trained will die), 2 bangai cardinals, a royal grama and maybe a clown or dwarf angel(i know the coral risk) would these be okay in those sizes?

i think those would be fine but the angel would be pushing it. personally all of those and the clown would be good, but not the angel, i would personally go for the long tank, because i just love the look of long tanks, and the shallowness makes it easier to light.

as for the lighting id just pick out a decent T5HO fixture, for me id just save up for a 4 bulb, but if its not in your budget get a 2 bulb, and maybe buy another down the road.

if/when i upgrade, i want to do it right and be able to keep whatever i want to, so thats why i suggest saving up for a better light, just keep it FOWLR with a bleh light until you have enough money for the good one, then add your coral!

Got the 30 long and found an awesomee deal at the lfs on a light. 106 W plus a white moonlight for 90. Pics and a build thread will be up tmm. Mods can close this. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom