Which thermometer is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MickieFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering how accurate the sticky thermometers are.. not to mention hard to read!! I did buy a "digital" sticky therm., instead of the one that came with my tank, b/c it was impossible to read after about 2 weeks. I saw the floating one somewhere.. are they better? TIA!

i have a floating one they work good i havent tried the digital sticky one. they stay clean to and if they get dirty are easy to clean and they're accurate

The floating thermomiters are more accurate than the stick on type. You have more options tho you could get the electronic digital thermomiter I have 1 a corallife one cost me 6 bucks it accurate easy to read and reliable as long as you keep an extra battery on hand. The one I purchased had to have th battery changed within the first week but I believe that was because it sat on the shelf in some cold wharehouse to long. I put in a new battery about 2 montha ago and its worked fine since. I would change the battery about once a year to be on the safe side.

Floaters are better than stickies and digitals are better than floaters. It all depends on how accurate of a reading you want and how much you want to spend. The digital ones are about $6 from Big Al's, they won't break, and give an exact temp. Floaters are cheaper, can break, and give a pretty good reading. Stickies are dirt cheap and are not good at reading temps. With the floaters you can get a good temp reading, but the digitals give an exact.

Just to clear it up, the "digital" sticky ones aren't really digital, and aren't what is being talked about when referring to the $6 digital ones that need batteries. ;)

Definitely don't rely on those sticky ones!

-brent

Fishyfanatic said:
Floaters are better than stickies and digitals are better than floaters. It all depends on how accurate of a reading you want and how much you want to spend. The digital ones are about $6 from Big Al's, they won't break, and give an exact temp. Floaters are cheaper, can break, and give a pretty good reading. Stickies are dirt cheap and are not good at reading temps. With the floaters you can get a good temp reading, but the digitals give an exact.

Not to mention the digital coral life ones look awesome. You can set it on the side and it gives it to the tenth degree.

Yes I would deff get the coralife. My friend has that and it works very good. Also what he did was got some sticky velcroe and stuck in on the upper corner of the tank so he can read it. Its a nice stop actually. Good decision about gettin the coralife.

I just bought a digital one, I broke my last floater while changing around my tank. I don't know if they all are the same, but it took mine a few hours to equalize, now it's fine. It's nice to have a little black probe out of view instead of a big old thermometer.

Oh, lol, that's exactly what I have, a corolife. Just noticed the brandname when I checked the temp. Mine came with a suction cup for the unit.

Back
Top Bottom