Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAl View Post
That's interesting. Perhaps the larger AC110s are coming with the larger ceramic rings, which have a center hole, and thus probably holds more nitrifying bacteria. It is perfectly fine to mix the two together.

The next time I'm at the LFS I'm going to open an AC50 box as well as an AC110 to see if there's a difference in the BioMax media.

David
Yeah, but what I'm saying is, I no longer have the ORIGINAL BioMax from when I first opened the 110, as I tossed it due to the aforementioned bacterial infection the tank came down with...I was forced to use this REPLACEMENT BioMax, which are now small, hole-less pellets as shown, and which come in two small mesh bags now for the 110 model...

And I want to know if that's okay to use...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Yeah, but what I'm saying is, I no longer have the ORIGINAL BioMax from when I first opened the 110, as I tossed it due to the aforementioned bacterial infection the tank came down with...I was forced to use this REPLACEMENT BioMax, which are now small, hole-less pellets as shown, and which come in two small mesh bags now for the 110 model...

And I want to know if that's okay to use...
Yes, it's perfect to use. As was said already, you can use any rings, from any company. The bacteria aren't fussy!!!.
Next time your replacing your biomax, check out Seachem Matrix(google it).....

Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Yes, it's perfect to use. As was said already, you can use any rings, from any company. The bacteria aren't fussy!!!.
Next time your replacing your biomax, check out Seachem Matrix(google it).....
Thanks Ian; indeed, I've heard about Seachem's Matrix...will try that, eventually, or perhaps the Fluval rings...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was at the store last night looking at filter media and I noticed there were two Aquaclear boxes on the shelf. One with the hole in the middle (Donuts) and one the ones that were the solid pellets (no hole). The box said the Donuts was "Pre-Filter" and no hole was was "Biomax". I'm guessing they intend you to layer your filter like this:

FILTER TOP
- PELLETS (NO CENTER HOLE)
- DONUTS (BIG CENTER HOLE)
- SPONGE
FILTER BOTTOM

I think the idea is the larger holes catch any large gunk that makes it past the sponge, and this in turn keeps the small holes in the pellets from clogging. Marketing Ploy or Science is the next question.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKStripe View Post
I was at the store last night looking at filter media and I noticed there were two Aquaclear boxes on the shelf. One with the hole in the middle (Donuts) and one the ones that were the solid pellets (no hole). The box said the Donuts was "Pre-Filter" and no hole was was "Biomax". I'm guessing they intend you to layer your filter like this:

FILTER TOP
- PELLETS (NO CENTER HOLE)
- DONUTS (BIG CENTER HOLE)
- SPONGE
FILTER BOTTOM

I think the idea is the larger holes catch any large gunk that makes it past the sponge, and this in turn keeps the small holes in the pellets from clogging. Marketing Ploy or Science is the next question.
Imo it's a marketing ploy, call me cynical but it's the same with the carbon sponges, replace every month they say. They don't tell you that you don't really need carbon in the first place. You could use regular gravel in your filter if you wanted or glass or any anything with a hard surface. BB will grow on almost anything you put in there. They like to blind us with science. I once had a internal filter, that if i to buy all the replacement sponges, rings, carbon, would cost me 1 1/2 times the price i paid for the filter, that had all that stuff included!!!.
You can't go wrong with a universal medium course sponge(cut to size), bio-max or Matrix, some cheap filter floss(polyfil) and some purigen if you can fit it in.....
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #16

So then what am I supposed to take/make of this? Are these small BioMax "pieces" without the holes that I got as "replacement" media for the 110 okay for surfacing BB?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
So then what am I supposed to take/make of this? Are these small BioMax "pieces" without the holes that I got as "replacement" media for the 110 okay for surfacing BB?
Yes, perfectly fine. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

David
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You've absolutely nothing to worry about mate. If fact, the smaller pieces are probably better for the BB to grow on, more surface area. Think of a rock, BB will grow on that, smash that rock in half and you've doubled the surface area for the BB to grow on. Smash it in half again, doubled again. So on and so on. So smaller BioMax pieces are better than larger pieces. I hope i explained that ok, sometimes i'm not great at explaining what's in my head!!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
You've absolutely nothing to worry about mate. If fact, the smaller pieces are probably better for the BB to grow on, more surface area. Think of a rock, BB will grow on that, smash that rock in half and you've doubled the surface area for the BB to grow on. Smash it in half again, doubled again. So on and so on. So smaller BioMax pieces are better than larger pieces. I hope i explained that ok, sometimes i'm not great at explaining what's in my head!!!!
I think Ehiem does the same thing with the larger ceramic rings as a prefilter and smaller rings as the bio-media. Not having owned one I cannot tell you how much gunk actually gets caught up in the prefilter media.

Yes, available surface area is the key and smaller pieces of media will provide that. However, if too small then you run the risk of clogging or channeling (water runs around and not through the media following the path of least resistance).

As mentioned before, you are fine with the replacement media or another brand. Media flexibility is one of the nice things about the AquaClear series.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
I have the same ones you asked about in my filters, the ones without holes, and it works just fine. As everyone has said, Fear not.

Tags
bio, filter, filters, hot, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com