While We're Hot on the Topic of Filters...A Question About the AC110's BioMax...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
With all the talk we've been doing in the Filtration thread in this section, it got me thinking about something I was pondering since the last time I picked up some "replacement" media for my AquaClear 110...

Okay -- so as most of you know, my last 60 gallon goldfish setup came down with a nasty bacterial infection from poor water maintenance on our part (at the time) and some other factors, the least of which wasn't a new Red Cap Oranda attacking our two other fantails to the point open sores developed on their backsides letting the infection in and ultimately killing them (this is the Red Cap you see in my latest pictures of the new tank, seemingly doing well and growing), and when I cleaned that tank out and started over, neutralizing the infection, the same tank cracked a couple of weeks later and flooded our house.

But before that happened, I had thrown away ALL the media that was residing in the Aqueon HOB filter and AquaClear filter that ran on this 60 gallon for fear it was also simmering in the bacterial infection; I bought new cartridges for the Aqueon and also purchased a new sponge block and BioMax for the AquaClear. Here's the thing, though -- when I first got my AquaClear 110, inside the box was the sponge, the carbon pouch and a pouch of large BioMax noodles that are designed to go into the net bag Hagen provides with the filter...when I went to Petsmart to find the replacement BioMax pellets after I set everything up again, I found that even though the box of the pellets said it was for the 110 model, inside were much smaller BioMax pieces than before, and now Hagen supplied two very small mesh bags to put these in...as opposed to the large BioMax rings and large net bag that came with the filter...

My question has always been...is it pretty much doing the same thing -- that is, offering available space for bacterial growth -- these two small pouches I'm running now with the much smaller BioMax rings as the previous large rings and larger bag? And why did Hagen decide to do this with "replacement" media? Why change to two small pouches with small BioMax pieces as compared to the large rings and large net bag?

I did make sure the packaging for this replacement BioMax media stated it was for the 110 model...

:confused::confused::confused:

This is what it looked like:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754140&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

p3761216t300x300.jpg

I'm not sure why the ceramic media changed in size and quantity; but yes, it should be doing the same thing. If you were to weigh the old amount with the new, I bet you're getting more colonizing space now. That's good. Most bio-media work the same. In fact, you don't even have to use the bio-max from Hagen. Most biological media from other manufacturers will suffice.

They recently revamped their marketing on the boxes. The AquaClear box now says Fluval and it has a different look to it. Perhaps this is all tied in?

David

I'm not sure why the ceramic media changed in size and quantity; but yes, it should be doing the same thing. If you were to weigh the old amount with the new, I bet you're getting more colonizing space now. That's good. Most bio-media work the same. In fact, you don't even have to use the bio-max from Hagen. Most biological media from other manufacturers will suffice.

They recently revamped their marketing on the boxes. The AquaClear box now says Fluval and it has a different look to it. Perhaps this is all tied in?

David

Hello, David -- and thank you for the prompt reply! It's greatly appreciated...

Indeed, I noticed that Hagen recently repackaged their AquaClear stuff to read "Fluval" on the boxes, and this maybe had something to do with it -- but I bought this replacement media long before they decided on this marketing strategy...:confused:

I understand what you're saying about the surface area addition with the two smaller sacks of BioMax; I just wanted to know if running these two small packs versus the old large one with the much larger BioMax pieces was okay and will yield similar filtering results, which I believe you answered...:)

So, what I'm running is this: The foam block on bottom and the two small BioMax sacks on top...this is alright? When I first got the 110, it came with a large net bag to hold the very large BioMax rings...now, they're two small bags with small BioMax pieces...all is okay still?

I, too, am at a loss as to why Hagen supplies the replacement BioMax this way...

So, what I'm running is this: The foam block on bottom and the two small BioMax sacks on top...this is alright? When I first got the 110, it came with a large net bag to hold the very large BioMax rings...now, they're two small bags with small BioMax pieces...all is okay still?
That's fine. That's the great thing about AC filters: you can work any filtering combination according to the needs of the livestock. In other words, you have flexibility. If you think about it, it's a canister filter that hangs on the back.

On some AquaClears I don't even use ceramic bio-media. For example, I have an AC50 running 3 foam blocks.

David

That's fine. That's the great thing about AC filters: you can work any filtering combination according to the needs of the livestock. In other words, you have flexibility. If you think about it, it's a canister filter that hangs on the back.

On some AquaClears I don't even use ceramic bio-media. For example, I have an AC50 running 3 foam blocks.

David

And the fact that these are now smaller pellets as compared to the large rings that came stock with the filter is alright?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pellets." Can you post a picture of the two medias?

David

Yeah, that's the media I'm familiar with and is what the AquaClears I have purchased in the past come with. Can you post a pic of the larger rings?

David

HERE'S what the old, larger rings looked like, and which came with my 110, inside the box:

mT7yq3QE2JfNmx7ssXteogA.jpg

Notice the size difference? They were also in a larger, one-piece net "sack" (that you had to kind of put together yourself with the little red snap thing you see there when you first open the box to your new AquaClear filter) as opposed to the dual small bags that are provided with the replacement rings as I cited above...

That's interesting. Perhaps the larger AC110s are coming with the larger ceramic rings, which have a center hole, and thus probably holds more nitrifying bacteria. It is perfectly fine to mix the two together.

The next time I'm at the LFS I'm going to open an AC50 box as well as an AC110 to see if there's a difference in the BioMax media.

David

That's interesting. Perhaps the larger AC110s are coming with the larger ceramic rings, which have a center hole, and thus probably holds more nitrifying bacteria. It is perfectly fine to mix the two together.

The next time I'm at the LFS I'm going to open an AC50 box as well as an AC110 to see if there's a difference in the BioMax media.

David

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, I no longer have the ORIGINAL BioMax from when I first opened the 110, as I tossed it due to the aforementioned bacterial infection the tank came down with...I was forced to use this REPLACEMENT BioMax, which are now small, hole-less pellets as shown, and which come in two small mesh bags now for the 110 model...

And I want to know if that's okay to use...;)

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, I no longer have the ORIGINAL BioMax from when I first opened the 110, as I tossed it due to the aforementioned bacterial infection the tank came down with...I was forced to use this REPLACEMENT BioMax, which are now small, hole-less pellets as shown, and which come in two small mesh bags now for the 110 model...

And I want to know if that's okay to use...;)
Yes, it's perfect to use. As was said already, you can use any rings, from any company. The bacteria aren't fussy!!!.
Next time your replacing your biomax, check out Seachem Matrix(google it).....

Yes, it's perfect to use. As was said already, you can use any rings, from any company. The bacteria aren't fussy!!!.
Next time your replacing your biomax, check out Seachem Matrix(google it).....

Thanks Ian; indeed, I've heard about Seachem's Matrix...will try that, eventually, or perhaps the Fluval rings...(y)

I was at the store last night looking at filter media and I noticed there were two Aquaclear boxes on the shelf. One with the hole in the middle (Donuts) and one the ones that were the solid pellets (no hole). The box said the Donuts was "Pre-Filter" and no hole was was "Biomax". I'm guessing they intend you to layer your filter like this:

FILTER TOP
- PELLETS (NO CENTER HOLE)
- DONUTS (BIG CENTER HOLE)
- SPONGE
FILTER BOTTOM

I think the idea is the larger holes catch any large gunk that makes it past the sponge, and this in turn keeps the small holes in the pellets from clogging. Marketing Ploy or Science is the next question.

I was at the store last night looking at filter media and I noticed there were two Aquaclear boxes on the shelf. One with the hole in the middle (Donuts) and one the ones that were the solid pellets (no hole). The box said the Donuts was "Pre-Filter" and no hole was was "Biomax". I'm guessing they intend you to layer your filter like this:

FILTER TOP
- PELLETS (NO CENTER HOLE)
- DONUTS (BIG CENTER HOLE)
- SPONGE
FILTER BOTTOM

I think the idea is the larger holes catch any large gunk that makes it past the sponge, and this in turn keeps the small holes in the pellets from clogging. Marketing Ploy or Science is the next question.
Imo it's a marketing ploy, call me cynical but it's the same with the carbon sponges, replace every month they say. They don't tell you that you don't really need carbon in the first place. You could use regular gravel in your filter if you wanted or glass or any anything with a hard surface. BB will grow on almost anything you put in there. They like to blind us with science. I once had a internal filter, that if i to buy all the replacement sponges, rings, carbon, would cost me 1 1/2 times the price i paid for the filter, that had all that stuff included!!!.
You can't go wrong with a universal medium course sponge(cut to size), bio-max or Matrix, some cheap filter floss(polyfil) and some purigen if you can fit it in.....

So then what am I supposed to take/make of this? Are these small BioMax "pieces" without the holes that I got as "replacement" media for the 110 okay for surfacing BB?

So then what am I supposed to take/make of this? Are these small BioMax "pieces" without the holes that I got as "replacement" media for the 110 okay for surfacing BB?

Yes, perfectly fine. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

David

You've absolutely nothing to worry about mate. If fact, the smaller pieces are probably better for the BB to grow on, more surface area. Think of a rock, BB will grow on that, smash that rock in half and you've doubled the surface area for the BB to grow on. Smash it in half again, doubled again. So on and so on. So smaller BioMax pieces are better than larger pieces. I hope i explained that ok, sometimes i'm not great at explaining what's in my head!!!!

You've absolutely nothing to worry about mate. If fact, the smaller pieces are probably better for the BB to grow on, more surface area. Think of a rock, BB will grow on that, smash that rock in half and you've doubled the surface area for the BB to grow on. Smash it in half again, doubled again. So on and so on. So smaller BioMax pieces are better than larger pieces. I hope i explained that ok, sometimes i'm not great at explaining what's in my head!!!!

I think Ehiem does the same thing with the larger ceramic rings as a prefilter and smaller rings as the bio-media. Not having owned one I cannot tell you how much gunk actually gets caught up in the prefilter media.

Yes, available surface area is the key and smaller pieces of media will provide that. However, if too small then you run the risk of clogging or channeling (water runs around and not through the media following the path of least resistance).

As mentioned before, you are fine with the replacement media or another brand. Media flexibility is one of the nice things about the AquaClear series.

I have the same ones you asked about in my filters, the ones without holes, and it works just fine. As everyone has said, Fear not.

Back
Top Bottom