whisper 10-30i question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZombiesAteMyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
so, I have had my tank set up for about a week now, I am running to Whisper 10-30i filters in my 29 gallon fresh water tank that is currently fish in cycling.

for the first week these filters were great and lived up to their name, they were whisper quiet, this morning I woke up and one of the filters has gotten quite loud literally over night, for a lack of a better description it is almost making a grinding noise,

is this normal and something that is to be expected? currently my tank sits flush against the wall, so a different filter that hangs outside the tank is out of the question, I am considering possibly switching over to a canister filter in the next month or 2 at some point if money allows, but even that could be challenging to set up based on the fact my tank is flush against the wall.

anyway, has anyone else had this problem with the whisper 10-30i ? is there anything I can do to quiet it down?

I have a whisper 10-15 internal filter and it is quiet but doesn't filter much. I have a Whisper 40 HOB and it is loud. Was decently quiet the first week but then got a grinding sound. I have cleaned the impeller multiple times. Tried using Vaseline to lubricate it. No luck. I have given up and ordered an aquaclear HOB.

Off the side isn't a good idea IMO. You'll see it android me it would be an eye sore.

Also that stand doesn't sound sturdy, is it? No braces or anything? Sounds like a square?

Can you take a picture?

yup yup, it is this stand here, the 29 gal variety - Aqua Culture Deluxe Aquarium Stand - Walmart.com

here is a picture of it with the door closed, and the door open, as you can see, the back is open, it is not entirely square, it has 2 side pieces, 2 pieces that are at a 45 degree angle and the door.

if I wanted to pull it out from the wall I am wondering if I would be better off getting something like - Petco Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - Aquarium Stand and Fish Tank Stand from petco.com

I just looked through the instructions that came with the stand, no where does it say it has to be kept flush against the wall, I am just not so sure i trust it away from the wall with the open back.

**EDIT** after doing some looking around on the walmart site I found a few pictures of people using this stand away from a wall, so I am guessing it would be ok, still makes me kind of squeamish though. here is once such pic - http://walmart.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1336/30856/photo.jpg

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 211
  • stand 2.jpg
    stand 2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 182
So I am ended up pulling the stand out about 6 inches from the wall and it's sturdy as a ever.

Thinking about picking up an AC70 but read a few threads about people here having noise problems with those now too, is the Ac70 my best bet? I love the look of the filter media and options

Thoughts?

If you wanted to make it more sturdy you could get a sheet of 3/4 plywood and cut a piece to fit the back. You could use construction glue to glue it to the back. That would add some cross bracing and keep things from falling out the back. Most hardware stores will cut it to fit if you take them the measurements. I would use bungie cords or rope to hold the plywood tight until the glue set. Maybe a few small finishing nails also.

Back
Top Bottom