Whisper 200 watt submersible is cranked to the highest temp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

engisfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
And the water is only 80 degrees. is this a defective heater or is there some way I can get more heat out of this puppy. It appears that Ich is running amock in my tank and I'd like to crank the heat up a bit.

What size tank and what is the temp of the room it is in? I have a 200 watt on my 50 and had no trouble getting up to the high 80's, and I don't keep my house very warm, low 70s at the most.

Actually I overshot doing ich treatment and they spent a few hours at 90+, none the worse for wear though :D

Unless it is a pretty big tank, I would say you have a weak/bad heater :(

wow, thanks for the input. You guys seem pretty altruistic. I have the heater in a 55 gallon tank and my apartment is usually around 75 degrees. I just bought the heater so I was thinking of exchanging it or something. seems like it should put out more heat than it does.

I think the general rule of thumb for heaters is 5 W per gallon.

I've got a 300 W in my 58 gal and my apt temp is about the same as yours. I had no problem going up to 88oF.

I'd keep the one you have and add a 100 W. That way, if one heater dies or gets stuck in the on position, you will be less likely to freeze or cook your fish. If I had it to do over, I'd get two 150s for this reason.

I always overbuy heaters.

My 10gals have 100 watts, and my 29gal has a 200watt.

And have never had trouble with my temp

My large tanks all have a single 300 watt heater. They stay around 79 degrees right now (They're set to 80) and my apartment is mostly unheated because I have a gas furnace and don't want to pay the gas bill, around 70 degrees. I should get more but never have.. I have extras on hand, just not in the tanks.

Just a note guys... I have 2 new whispers and BOTH of them are cranked to the max, in appropriate sized tanks, and neither will not go above 78-80.

I am convinced it is a built in safeguard for newbies, whisper thought would be a good idea apparently.

Oh well, that's what I get for buying equipment hastily to set up additional tanks.

:roll:

Back to the ebos and wons. :D

Its a good idea, IMO... Just not for ich treatment ;) I'd actually consider this a useful feature.. ideally you'd want to have limited heaters like this to safeguard your fish from boiling, with an extra backup to use when you need to go higher.

ferret said:
My large tanks all have a single 300 watt heater. They stay around 79 degrees right now (They're set to 80) and my apartment is mostly unheated because I have a gas furnace and don't want to pay the gas bill, around 70 degrees. I should get more but never have.. I have extras on hand, just not in the tanks.

Think I'll move to Atlanta. :D

'mostly' unheated. I have three 1500watt space heaters I periodically use, especially right now as it averages 40 degrees outside. Yeah, I know, I've got nothing to complain about. For us GA people though, that's COLD :p .. I'm also in a third story apartment, so I benefit from the rising heat of the people below me.

I run Thermal Pre-Sets by Hagen on all my tanks but one, that one has a Whisepr..and it kept that tank at 82 with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom