Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know I'm probably making this harder for myself I just want my tank back to normal. I had been thinking of adding another filter for awhile as my sister who has a 100 tank set up for years told me she had a ugf with another filter and hasn't had any problems. I guest I just want to know if it would do more harm than good having two filters as I think it would ease my mind to not have to worry about it as much if having two filters would help.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #22
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

having two filters would be a good idea... i run 2 on my 55, 3 on my 150. ugf's are controversial to some people though, as they can cause issues if not properly maintaned.... i say add the other filter and follow up on those test results... simply adding another filter isnt going to do much for you if you ammonia and nitrite levels are off... pwc's will fix that, along with a good gravel vac

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #23

Just thought of this I live in the country and have well water. We've had our water tested before and it was good. I only add the salt and stress zyme when I do my water changes. Should I be adding anything else? Also we lose power here not often but sometimes for two to three days. I never thought about the impact on the tank before. this could have something to do with the change in the tank Yes?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

is this a sw tank?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary50 View Post
the ugf was hooked up according to the directions. I have a 30 gallon tank and right now all thats in it is an algae eater which is big, a strawberry neon, and a something guami which is also pretty big now.
I don't think so.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #26
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

thanks a1 now mary, why are you adding salt? salt is only needed if treating for ich or other diseases when you dont want to use meds... using salt is completely pointless and a waste of money imo... also not a good idea if your "algae eater" is some sort of catfish or pleco... I would recommend doing 50% pwc's every other day for the next week and see if things look better for you... and get the water tested... adding stress zyme is not really needed either once the tank has cycled, and is debatable before then...

Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #27

Thanks for all the advise. I will do the water changes every other day for a week and see what happens. Where would I take a water sample to for the tank? Also I think I will get a hob filter and add it to the tank. Thanks again. One last question how long should I wait before adding any new fish. I know I need to get the levels in check first but once that is done how long? I'd like to get more before christmas. What do you think
Thanks again Mary
Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

see if your local fish store can check if for you... really, imho, its worth the $20 + shipping to order an API Master FW Test kit so you can test your water weekly and fix any water quality issues before they actually start becoming an issue. I would not add any fish until you determine the water parameters, which will hopefully explain the death of your fish. Also, depending on the size of the fish you have, you may be close to being fully stocked anyways. If you could show some pictures of your "algae eater" and gourami, it would be a big help determining how many, if any, fish you can add...

Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
What is the last one you see before yours?
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #30

Never mind I got all the replies. Thanks again for all the help.
I don't have a camera so I can't take any pictures. the algae eater is about 5" the guami is 3 to 4 ".
Thanks

Tags
filter, whisper

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com