whisper filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I'm probably making this harder for myself I just want my tank back to normal. I had been thinking of adding another filter for awhile as my sister who has a 100 tank set up for years told me she had a ugf with another filter and hasn't had any problems. I guest I just want to know if it would do more harm than good having two filters as I think it would ease my mind to not have to worry about it as much if having two filters would help.

having two filters would be a good idea... i run 2 on my 55, 3 on my 150. ugf's are controversial to some people though, as they can cause issues if not properly maintaned.... i say add the other filter and follow up on those test results... simply adding another filter isnt going to do much for you if you ammonia and nitrite levels are off... pwc's will fix that, along with a good gravel vac

Just thought of this I live in the country and have well water. We've had our water tested before and it was good. I only add the salt and stress zyme when I do my water changes. Should I be adding anything else? Also we lose power here not often but sometimes for two to three days. I never thought about the impact on the tank before. this could have something to do with the change in the tank Yes?

thanks a1 :) now mary, why are you adding salt? salt is only needed if treating for ich or other diseases when you dont want to use meds... using salt is completely pointless and a waste of money imo... also not a good idea if your "algae eater" is some sort of catfish or pleco... I would recommend doing 50% pwc's every other day for the next week and see if things look better for you... and get the water tested... adding stress zyme is not really needed either once the tank has cycled, and is debatable before then...

Thanks for all the advise. I will do the water changes every other day for a week and see what happens. Where would I take a water sample to for the tank? Also I think I will get a hob filter and add it to the tank. Thanks again. One last question how long should I wait before adding any new fish. I know I need to get the levels in check first but once that is done how long? I'd like to get more before christmas. What do you think
Thanks again Mary

see if your local fish store can check if for you... really, imho, its worth the $20 + shipping to order an API Master FW Test kit so you can test your water weekly and fix any water quality issues before they actually start becoming an issue. I would not add any fish until you determine the water parameters, which will hopefully explain the death of your fish. Also, depending on the size of the fish you have, you may be close to being fully stocked anyways. If you could show some pictures of your "algae eater" and gourami, it would be a big help determining how many, if any, fish you can add...

Never mind I got all the replies. Thanks again for all the help.
I don't have a camera so I can't take any pictures. the algae eater is about 5" the guami is 3 to 4 ".
Thanks

one thing you'll learn is that you have to refresh your page each time you come back... thats probably why you only saw 26 of the 28. if you can id your fish, that would be alot easier to recommend stocking... see if your algae eater is some sort of pleco... just google it and look in the images... also what color is the gourami, some of those guys get huge... way to big for any 30g tank

Back
Top Bottom