Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #1

White fog spots on glass

This is a 75 E perfecto aquarium. It is approximately 2 years old. These spots have begun appearing lately and seem to be getting worse. Does anyone know what they are or how i can get rid of it. I have a 33 gal all-glass aquarium set up with the same water and it is clear with no problems. The spots seem to be inside the glass rather than on the surface, so getting rid of it may not be an option. I am starting th think that the perfecto is made of an inferior quality glass, possibly. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swscan00001_173.jpg (182.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it looks almost like when the tinting on a car window starts coming off. does all glass use a thin layer of...something...that could peel off? if so, thats what it looks like to me.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

When I look at it close up, it appears to be inside the glass. I dont know about the thin layer of something, it might have that. This is a perfecto aquarium, btw. I emailed Perfecto manufacturing, but somehow I dont think they are going to honor their warrenty. It was due for a thorough cleaning, so I drained the water down and rotated the tank, so that the marks are against the wall. Hopefully they dont start to appear on this side now. I would still like to find out what caused it.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does it scrub off? Try using a razor blade and scraping it off. If it does, it is hard water deposits. We get it BAD in our 55 gal tank but not in any of the others.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #5

No, it doesnt scrape off. It doesnt seem to be on the surface of the glass. Also, it is only visible when i look at it from 3 different angles. Straight on, from bellow and the side. When i stand above it and look where it is, it is not visible
Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank may actually be two pieces of glass seperated by a plastic layer which is bubbling up. I would call the manufactuere if you can and ask them.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
The tank may actually be two pieces of glass seperated by a plastic layer which is bubbling up. I would call the manufactuere if you can and ask them.
Is this what tempered glass is? I think that is what the E means in 75 E. I think i might agree with this theory. I have contacted perfecto. The person said she forwarded my photo to the engineers, but i havent heard back yet.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah thats tempered glass. Good luck with the tank manufacturer.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #9

Well, I emailed Perfecto after not hearing from them for a week, and I was told that it is not something that they have ever seen before, but they are sure that it is not a problem with their glass. They are not sure what they can do. I think they just lost a customer, but I did not tell them that because i am sure that they do not care. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ask to speak with a manager. Let them know you are not happy. I can't remember what the addage is, but it goes something like this:
"One happy customer will tel at least one person about their good experience, but one unhappy customer will tell at least 10."
Today, with the internet and this forum, you have probably told a heck of a lot more than only 10 people.....

Stick with it, and keep going up the chain, at least a better answer than, "it is not something that they have ever seen before".

Good Luck!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fog, glass, spots on glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com