Who uses purigen? Should I use purigen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
You fine people haven't let me down yet. I have some open real estate in my aqua clears (not up for discussion) and I'm wondering if adding purigen is really worth it? I have 4 tanks running and any extra maintenance at this point had better be worth it;) please share your experiences!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You fine people haven't let me down yet. I have some open real estate in my aqua clears (not up for discussion) and I'm wondering if adding purigen is really worth it? I have 4 tanks running and any extra maintenance at this point had better be worth it;) please share your experiences!

I use it in my FX6.

To be honest, I got irritated with having to maintain or change out other chemical medias, such as Carbon or Ammo Chips.
Went online and found this lil gem called Purigen.
I found out that it did pretty much what I wanted (gives crystal clear water) along with a bunch of other fancy stuff that I'm not clever enough to understand.

Along with this, it can be RECHARGED.
After it has absorbed as much as it can, you can remove and bleach it and throw it straight back in as if new.

The smallest bag of the stuff you can get is 100g which is good for 100G.
It's not exactly a bargain but for the effective lifetime of it, there really is no alternative.

All in all, I would say that there is no reason NOT to have it, but it is definitely not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think a better question would be why would you need purigen or any other chemical filtration. I typically don't use any chemical filtration unless there is a problem i need to solve.

I think a better question would be why would you need purigen or any other chemical filtration. I typically don't use any chemical filtration unless there is a problem i need to solve.

Fair enough, I never used to either.
I got persuaded to use it and have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's always good to have extra space in the filter to put more filter media. There're nothing wrong to have more filter. Especially with a good one, I have Purigen in 2 of my tanks' filter. According to Seachem, it polishes the tank water crystal clear and adsorbs waste products. And it does the jobs in my tanks.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

Make sure you buy the purigen comes in the bags. Don't end up with small white balls flowing around the tank ;).

Purigen is an amazing product. I run it in my reef tank with great success. When I don't run it, my tank never seems to do as well as when I do run it. The nice thing about it is that you can recharge the stuff, though I personally never have due to space/time limitations.

Great, sounds like I'll be placing an order than.. thanks!

I was wondering about Purigen, too. Is it bad for planted tanks b/c it removes the nitrates the plants need?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I use it as well, great stuff, but it can be messy if it gets away from you LOL.

You will like it especially for your planted tanks as it doesn't induce the ph alterations that activated carbon can, won't re-release absorbed stuff like carbon or some other types can and can be recharged.
Plus it does a wonderful job of absorbing dissolved organics before they can be broken down by the BB reducing the overall nitrates produced.

and it literally makes the water invisible clear.

Really is no reason to NOT use it.

I was wondering about Purigen, too. Is it bad for planted tanks b/c it removes the nitrates the plants need?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I've been using it in my little planted tank and have not noticed any negative effects as far as the plant growth, actually they are starting to really take off. :)

I bought some a couple days ago and I'm putting it in today. Can't wait too see the results

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I bought some a couple days ago and I'm putting it in today. Can't wait too see the results

They have it at spetco and petsmert?

Online is usually much better pricing but supporting lfs is great!

I haven't used it yet, but was thinking of doing it. I like what was previously said binds or attaches dissolved organics. With perfect water clarity who wouldn't be able to appreciate that.

Looks like I will be getting some of this for my next filter clean out.

I have heard to read and follow all instructions for recharging it and rinsing enough. Read bad story about someone who didn't rinse out the bleach enough.:nono:

Online is usually much better pricing but supporting lfs is great!

I haven't used it yet, but was thinking of doing it. I like what was previously said binds or attaches dissolved organics. With perfect water clarity who wouldn't be able to appreciate that.

Looks like I will be getting some of this for my next filter clean out.

I have heard to read and follow all instructions for recharging it and rinsing enough. Read bad story about someone who didn't rinse out the bleach enough.:nono:

Yeh. Amazon it is... Paul has been talking it up for quite some time so I think it's worth the $15 to see what's up. Yes, one must take great care to recharge it correctly, rocky can attest to that. Wiped out half the tank. Basically drowning it in prime should do the trick after the bleach bath I'd think..

I paid $11 bucks for each 100gal. Bag. Pretty stoked. Just fired up the fluval 305 canister to run 3 purigen packs along with ammo chips. My wet dry runs as my sump and bio filter.

Going to overstock the 150 gal with african cichlids. Woooohoooo

If I will be using it in an ac 70 and ac 50? Which should I get? The bag? Should I just get a jar and bag it myslef? I don't want to screw this one up.. sorry if this is a stupid question.

Most people just get the pre-bagged kind because it is a pain to bag yourself because it is so small. The holes in most media bags are too big.

Seachem, of course, sells a special bag that will accommodate it but it is pretty costly.

I bought all the bagged ones and the jar. The LFS that carried it is a far drive from where I live so I grabbed as much as I could.

Back
Top Bottom