Why are people obsessed with Prime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avocado Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've never used Seachem Prime before, but people seem to love it. I currently use API tap water dechlorinator (gets rid of chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals), and it still works even though I've had the bottle for 2 years.

When I run out, I'm tempted to switch to Prime but am wary of falling prey to hype. To me, it seems like a water conditioner either does or does not do its job...it's hard to imagine one doing a great job.

But here's where I leave it to you all. I'm not expecting evidence of its superiority through randomized control trials or anything, but why do you like it (or not)? Why is it better than other dechlorinators out there (or not)?

Thanks!:popcorn:

I've never used Seachem Prime before, but people seem to love it. I currently use API tap water dechlorinator (gets rid of chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals), and it still works even though I've had the bottle for 2 years.

When I run out, I'm tempted to switch to Prime but am wary of falling prey to hype. To me, it seems like a water conditioner either does or does not do its job...it's hard to imagine one doing a great job.

But here's where I leave it to you all. I'm not expecting evidence of its superiority through randomized control trials or anything, but why do you like it (or not)? Why is it better than other dechlorinators out there (or not)?

Thanks!:popcorn:

There is just a favoritism towards the seachem line because all of their products do exactly what they say. They make high quality products, prime is just one of them. API is another good brand, I've used their dechlorinator as well.

for people with many tanks or large tanks it works best because api water conditioner uses 5 ml per 10 gallons and prime uses 1 ml per ten gallons so 1/5 as much. a 500 ml of stress coat will treat 1000 gallons and a 500 of prime will treat 5000 gallons.

Hello Avo...

The powder that Seachem came out with a few months ago is a much better price than the liquid "Prime". If you're thinking of switching, try the powder called "Safe". I use just one eighth of a teaspoon in 5 gallons of tap water. The powder works on contact, so I can put the treated water right into the tank.

Just a thought if your pockets aren't very deep, like mine.

B

This is great advice, folks, I appreciate it. So far I'm getting the impression that prime is not only effective but more cost effective.

I certainly didn't know about the dry "Safe" seachem product - I think I'll check that out given that, yes, my budget for aquarium stuff is quite low!

im on a low budget to so i breed extra angelfish and take them to the lfs and trade for prime every 3 weeks

Prime is not the only 'good' conditioner. But it has a great track record, it is very economical compared to most other brands, and it has no unwanted side effects. For example it does not make the water foam, which some brands do.
It also binds nitrates, which not all of them can do. Seachem provides excellent information on their site and are very good at responding to consumer questions and problems. Not the only company who treat their customers nicely, but it is good to know they are backing their stuff 100%.

Hello Avo...

The powder that Seachem came out with a few months ago is a much better price than the liquid "Prime". If you're thinking of switching, try the powder called "Safe". I use just one eighth of a teaspoon in 5 gallons of tap water. The powder works on contact, so I can put the treated water right into the tank.

Just a thought if your pockets aren't very deep, like mine.

B

The best value is pond prime its much cheaper and even seachem say its the same

Back
Top Bottom