Why are these powerheads so cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 1300gph one pictured looks a lot like the original ones I bought for my tank when I first started. Although the one pictured looks like it has a magnetic mount. I bought mine in a 2 pack from Amazon I think for even cheaper then that and they work well. I'm actually still using 1 on my tank now even tho I've upgraded everything else. I had some issues with the mount on the one I have but I got it to work and stay in place...it also starts in reverse a lot if it loses power for whatever reason...Annnnnd the power cord is the shortest thing in the world. I usually try to find decent equipment for lower prices or make my own but after awhile I knew I wanted better control out of a power head.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452660574.556111.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452660604.822779.jpg

I guess I should say the catch is that all it does is move water while having to deal with all the other short comings. But it does work (or at least mine do)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually I clicked on the link further and found the exact suction cup mount on mine ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452660713.813137.jpg

It's a pain and I don't recommend it lol it's failed a couple of times leaving the power head hanging in the tank blasting sand everywhere.

that has been my experience with that brand as well, the powerheads work fine, the mounts suck big time!

I've got one in my 240 (came with it) and it has never come off or had issues.

It's a pain and I don't recommend it lol it's failed a couple of times leaving the power head hanging in the tank blasting sand everywhere.

I used to have that problem till I learned how to correct the problem
first scrap off the glass with a razor blade removing any build up on the glass , then remove the power head and clean off the the suction cup with paper towel and rubbing alcohol as it evaporates in seconds , next put a very light coat of veg shortening over the suction cup just to make the suction cup look shinny , now it will stick to your glass like it did when it's new,
I used to throw out so many power heads because I didn't know about this simple trick , (y)
Thanks to one of our vendors with there tips and tricks page I learned this little secret ,

Last edited:
I've got one in my 240 (came with it) and it has never come off or had issues.

yeah I think that is the issue with them. If you stick them and they stay put, don't ever try to move it. In my experience the rubber suction cup gets hard and not pliable enough for a good suction.

Back
Top Bottom