Why is my HOB filter making air bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a aquaclear hob filter. When the water waterfalls back into the tank, a bunch of air bubbles go with it. Is this normal? Dangerous?

Thanks.

Extra oxygen is good not bad. If it bothers you raise the water level above the lip of the output and it should minimize it.

So that's all it is, extra oxygen? No it doesn't really bother me just wasn't sure if it should be like that or if it's ok.

Thanks for your help.

Pick up one of your decor and drop it into your tank. You'll see bubbles coming from anything falling into water.

Those bubbles can irritate or stress out some fish. Besides, any extra oxygen added from those bubbles is probably so small, it isn't worth the distraction. I'd just raise the water level to the lip. As long as there is a ripple on the surface your water is getting the O2 it needs.

Nubster said:
Those bubbles can irritate or stress out some fish. Besides, any extra oxygen added from those bubbles is probably so small, it isn't worth the distraction. I'd just raise the water level to the lip. As long as there is a ripple on the surface your water is getting the O2 it needs.

I would respectfully disagree that the amount of oxygen introduced is minimal. Just slight surface agitation can introduce enough oxygen so water splashing in to the tank has to add considerably more imo. I run my tank at 82 degrees. Warmer water naturally contains less o2 and very very light surface agitation is all I need to get enough.

Maybe splashing adds more oxygen but the bubbles add little. If you ever notice, most of the bubbles end up floating back to the top to the surface or attach to the plants. Personally I think all the bubbles floating around in the tank is an eye sore and for what little benefit you might get, they aren't worth it. It's just like airstones, it's not the stream of bubbles adding O2, it's the surface disruption where the bubbles break the surface of the water that adds the O2.

Back
Top Bottom