Why is my water temp stuck at 80F?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easywolf31

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have finally decided to just turn off the heater and see what happens. I have a 130 gallon aquarium with a 300 watt Eheim Jager Heater. I've properly calibrated it but that's not the issue. The temperature refuses to budge from 80F! The room temperature is 73-74F. How the heck is the temperature of the water always staying at 80, in the middle of the winter on top of it..I've had 2 lights on for 2 hours in the last 24hrs...makes no sense? I have a wavemaker but does that really affect anything?

The heat could be from the filter?
What is the heater set at.
It would not seem calibrated if your tank is warmer then desired or heater is set for.
I had a couple of those heaters and THEY SUCK IMO.
I am Aqueon Pro for my 20+ tanks that need heaters...
If unplugging works then the heater is not accurate???
To me glass in the aquarium is bad enough, add to that a heater that is not correct ,and that completes my definition of junk.Junk I wasted my money on..:nono:
Some really say they like that heater? I sure never found out why.Mine are in the junk pile in case of an emergency...
My Aqueon pros have a lifetime replacement on them....:whistle:

Hi there, yeah if it's from the heater it's junk lol. You think one teeny eheim 2217 at 20 watts or a wavemaker are causing heat? That would be insane.

Easywolf31, I had one of those heaters in my 120 and had the same problem. Therefore it went to the spares pile. I've since gone to the Cobalt neo therm, which has been working great. Always within a tenth of a degree of set temp. I went with 2 smaller heaters, I think they work better in tanks over 75 gal. Also, keep your thermometer away from your heaters. But I'm sure you knew that. Good luck.

I don't use canisters ,but I do not think the ehiem is the issue.
My jager never could be calibrated? Or I am just so out of it that it out smarted me?
The silly red indicator would not even get my heater into the right range.
It was like they put it together one turn over or under on the temp dial and I was setting my heater for other temps then indicated?
Not what I expect from German products at all?

Hi guys I unplugged the heater 3 hours ago and still 80F lol...I'm scared to get another canister now. But I really doubt it's that too. I mean it can't be that 24w wavemaker? This is weird.

what type of top do you have if it's a glass top that is most likely the culprit as they hold in the heat , the enclosed hoods would do the same thing , something to look into

I have a regular Hagen black plastic top split into 5 horizontal parts.

I unplugged my heater Eheim Jager 300w 10 hrs ago and the temp finally dropped from 80 to 78...really weird heaters these Eheims.

I've calibrated it 5 times it just kept staying at 80. Is this the correct way to set it for 79 now? Put the red arrow to 78 and the blue one to 79?

Use a bucket that holds a gallon or 2 of water and put the heater in it making sure it is in water up to the minimum mark . Let it sit till the water reaches temperature , the heater is turning on and off . If that temp is say 80 , then move just the red arrow to 80 , then move just the blue ring to the temp you want marked by the red arrow . Put the heater back in water and add some cold water to the bucket to lower the temp of the water and let sit again and see if the water is at the temp you set the heater to . Hope this makes sense . I use several of the Jager heaters with controllers with no issues so I would recomend getting a controller or DIY one with an Inkbird controller .

I've set the red to 80 about 4 straight times...and temp to 79 than 78 than 77 than 76 and still water stayed at 80...i had to go waste money to buy a fan today...thinking heater was smart...but it's not that smart. Maybe the fast water that is flowing from tge wavemaker is tricking it somehow? I took out the plug and the water dropped to 78-77... now i turned it back on 2 hrs ago so i will go check. I put the red arrow to 78...and blue to 78-79...if i see 80 again it's going in the garbage lol. Joking aside, calibration is very easy to understand, it's when it doesn't understand that's frustrating. Just because it's German engineering it don't mean anything. We'll see hopefully by taking out the plug I reset it's little brain.

I give up this heater is retarded. I adjusted the red arrow to 78 and blue to 79 it went to 80...than put the blue to 77-78 now again it's stuck to 80....

Hi guys I unplugged the heater 3 hours ago and still 80F lol...I'm scared to get another canister now. But I really doubt it's that too. I mean it can't be that 24w wavemaker? This is weird.

That's weird. I'd take the thermometer out and put it in the fridge maybe it's faulty.

I just checked the temp and it's at 80 again...I put the red arrow at 80 and put the blue arrow at 77-78..if I wake up again and it's at 80 it will be the last Eheim product I buy.

Nice german emgineering for ya:

1487421894620.jpg1487421903734.jpg

The red arrow is completely to the left now..can't even calibrate it anymore...

Stressing my Texas Cichlid...he's got two words for ya Eheim....

Sorry you can't figure it out !
I don't feel so old anymore....
Why in the world this ONE heater NEEDS to be calibrated by owner should have said all that was needed to be said ,but not for us!

Aqueon Pro Heaters
Aqueo Pro;Extruded aluminum encapsulated in black plastic jacket.
Comes with best directions on how a heater should be sized and a lifetime replacement...
Call and see what Ehiem says?
I use their 350 skim and that is it for me and them. That is a pretty neat piece of equipment. A heater is a heater if it works RELIABLY...Nobody will like the best heater if it cooks their fish.
Finnex Heater Controllers
You could just buy an external thermostat to control that heater.
Many feel it is a necessity anyways.
I am not fancy, I am well over 1,000 gallons of fish breeding and no time to fool around with something I feel I already paid too much for!

Thx Coralbandit, wish I had seen that Aqueon heater earlier. I have the skim350 too and it's nice. Not sure about my Eheim 2217 new Canister...I wouldn't call it dead quiet, I can hear it from outside my cabinet. I'm done with Eheim. I could have bought 2 Sunsun 704b's for the price of this. Water's been cloudy for 2 weeks on top if it. Anyhow that heater sucks.

I emailed my supplier petsandponds.com to see if they can take it back and sell me a 250w Aqueon precision heater and I'll order more stuff on the same order...let's see what they say...I also emailed Eheim.

Back
Top Bottom