Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Yay! Canister!
And I have to add again your tank is simply stunning!
Thank you very much!! I gotta say the canister is a bit intimating. How do you clean it and everything like that?! And a purge valve? lol. Wait... I'm a fire chief!! Haha I'd rather deal with a fire then this lol.

I just did 2 trays of those ceramic things bio max an the top tray is the fluval carbon packs. I also cut up a bunch of my sponges from the old filters and put them in and used all the old bio max from the AC 110's. Says I have to change. The sponges every MONTH?!?! WHAT?!?!

Also do you think the left side now has a "dead" spot?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Thank you very much!! I gotta say the canister is a bit intimating. How do you clean it and everything like that?! And a purge valve? lol. Wait... I'm a fire chief!! Haha I'd rather deal with a fire then this lol.

I just did 2 trays of those ceramic things bio max an the top tray is the fluval carbon packs. I also cut up a bunch of my sponges from the old filters and put them in and used all the old bio max from the AC 110's. Says I have to change. The sponges every MONTH?!?! WHAT?!?!

Also do you think the left side now has a "dead" spot?
Haha they can be to begin with. I put mine in the bath tub and get a couple of buckets of tank water to rinse everything in. That or in the backyard.

In the direction of water flow (don't know about yours but mine goes from bottom to top) I put sponge, then floss, the bio media. That way my ceramic rings stay cleaner. No need to change the media unless it's falling apart (or I change my floss out every 2nd or 3rd clean coz it's too dirty) just rinse it in tank water like you always have. They only say to replace it so they get more money!

If you think you have a dead spot (won't know until you have it running for a dew days/week) put a power head in to circulate that area.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Haha they can be to begin with. I put mine in the bath tub and get a couple of buckets of tank water to rinse everything in. That or in the backyard.

In the direction of water flow (don't know about yours but mine goes from bottom to top) I put sponge, then floss, the bio media. That way my ceramic rings stay cleaner. No need to change the media unless it's falling apart (or I change my floss out every 2nd or 3rd clean coz it's too dirty) just rinse it in tank water like you always have. They only say to replace it so they get more money!

If you think you have a dead spot (won't know until you have it running for a dew days/week) put a power head in to circulate that area.
Ok yeah that's why I was asking. My friend has a power head he would give me. Just don't know it I need it.

And per there instructions and I called fluval they said the bio media has to be on the bottom 2 trays and carbon or whatever else can be on the top tray. I didn't know what to put so I did the 2 trays with bio media. Most of it was from my old filters and some new as it holds a TON!! Then the top tray is 3 bags of carbon.2 from my old and 1 new one. And some cut up sponge. I hope I don't go through cycle. I'm kinda expecting a mini cycle maybe. But I'm knocking on wood!!!

Been through enough. I hope with this fx5 I see a good change in water although I was always ontop of things. Still gonna test everyday

This is the side I was concerned about. Not even sure if I should be. But it doesn't seem like much is going on as far as surface agitation.

Attachment 65671

Then this is the middle and right side. Has plenty.

Attachment 65672

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One thing I would suggest is getting the water polishing pads.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Ok yeah that's why I was asking. My friend has a power head he would give me. Just don't know it I need it.

And per there instructions and I called fluval they said the bio media has to be on the bottom 2 trays and carbon or whatever else can be on the top tray. I didn't know what to put so I did the 2 trays with bio media. Most of it was from my old filters and some new as it holds a TON!! Then the top tray is 3 bags of carbon.2 from my old and 1 new one. And some cut up sponge. I hope I don't go through cycle. I'm kinda expecting a mini cycle maybe. But I'm knocking on wood!!!

Been through enough. I hope with this fx5 I see a good change in water although I was always ontop of things. Still gonna test everyday

This is the side I was concerned about. Not even sure if I should be. But it doesn't seem like much is going on as far as surface agitation.

Then this is the middle and right side. Has plenty.
Imo I don't think it's anything to worry about. All the water will get circulated enough might just get some extra mulm build up there.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully405Customz
One thing I would suggest is getting the water polishing pads.
I would like more opinions on this. I was gonna buy them and the lady from the company said it collects very very fine particles and needs to be changes once a week!!! No way!!!

Quote:

Imo I don't think it's anything to worry about. All the water will get circulated enough might just get some extra mulm build up there.
Thanks Mumma but what's mulm? Is that Australian for beer?

Oh I crack myself up!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are pretty cheap but changing them out every week is madness. The sponges just don't get the five particles.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

I would like more opinions on this. I was gonna buy them and the lady from the company said it collects very very fine particles and needs to be changes once a week!!! No way!!!

Thanks Mumma but what's mulm? Is that Australian for beer?

Oh I crack myself up!
Ha ha ha very funny! Mulm is fish poop!
Get some hobby/Polly fill from a craft store (make sure it doesn't have any chemicals in it like fire retardant) and use that. Cheap to replace. That's what I use and only replace it every 2-3 filter cleans. So every 3-4 months. Just as good as a polishing pad IMO.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Ha ha ha very funny! Mulm is fish poop!
Get some hobby/Polly fill from a craft store (make sure it doesn't have any chemicals in it like fire retardant) and use that. Cheap to replace. That's what I use and only replace it every 2-3 filter cleans. So every 3-4 months. Just as good as a polishing pad IMO.
Ok Mumma bare with me. Use this in place of what? 3 trays. 1 bio media 2 bio media 3 carbon.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

She was talking about using that instead of the polishing pads. This is.how mine is set up:
Top tray-prefilter
Middle tray-my carbon/ammonia remover and polishing pads
Bottom tray is all Bio media with polishing pads as well.

Tags
fx5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com