Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully405Customz
Sounds like you have a system down. I'd at least try it once. Lol
Yea knowing me, I'll try it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok just set it up with the pre filter and polishing pads. Question, why did sooooo much water come pouring out?! I just the valves off like it said. I had a least a gallon all over. The wife WAS NOT HAPPY!!!

Also with this canister do you notice your water level drops quicker? I just added over a gallon to my tank which for me isn't normal.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Convict, I have no direct experience with the FX5 but I thought a read a couple pages back that you would replace sponges every month... that is something that the companies tell you to do so you will spend more money on the products. Just squeeze the sponges out really well in a bucket of tank water, when they need cleaning. You won't have to replace them until they are falling apart. HN1 and I run some canisters with sponges that are over 5 years old.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where did the water come out of?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
Hey Convict, I have no direct experience with the FX5 but I thought a read a couple pages back that you would replace sponges every month... that is something that the companies tell you to do so you will spend more money on the products. Just squeeze the sponges out really well in a bucket of tank water, when they need cleaning. You won't have to replace them until they are falling apart. HN1 and I run some canisters with sponges that are over 5 years old.
Ok I'll do that! I was gonna say this is gonna get expensive. And those polishing pads need replacement every 2-3 weeks?! I may not even use them after this go around.

Quote:
Where did the water come out of?
I shut both valves off and opened the top and water spilled out all over. Almost like it came out of the canister itself. Like overflow. But it was a lot.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah. You have to leave the lid on. That's why they put that drain valve on the bottom. I always disconnect the hoses then move the whole thing (lid on) to my tub and drain some out with that bottom valve then take the lid off
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oh yeah. You have to leave the lid on. That's why they put that drain valve on the bottom. I always disconnect the hoses then move the whole thing (lid on) to my tub and drain some out with that bottom valve then take the lid off
Well... I feel stupid cause that makes total sense!!! Now I know for next time.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree, we don't have any canisters as high-tech as the FX5, but you never want to open the canister until you get to the sink or bathtub. LOL. Just pull the hoses out and take the whole unit to the dumping destination.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Or you can get some of that clear 3/4" hose and connect it to that bottom valve and empty some into a bucket and it won't be so heavy.

If you do that don't forget to screw that little black sleve back over the hose
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
Agree, we don't have any canisters as high-tech as the FX5, but you never want to open the canister until you get to the sink or bathtub. LOL. Just pull the hoses out and take the whole unit to the dumping destination.
Will do... I still feel stupid. Should have known. Instead I had the wide giving me the "stare" saying "are you kidding me?!"

Tags
fx5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com