Wife ordered the FX5!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an fx5 on my 180gal fresh water tank, and its awsome,super quiet and does a nice job,however....you may get micro bubbles,i had an issue and to rectify i would tilt cannister to one side when plugging in,the theory is that the tube in the can has a slight pocket when lid is in place,to expell air you tilt as system is flushing out and fill this pocket with water,also the polishing pads clog easy so i dont use them,instead i run an aquaclear 110 with a sponge and polish pads,it dose a good job,and is much easier to rinse weekly;)

Megacichlid said:
I have an fx5 on my 180gal fresh water tank, and its awsome,super quiet and does a nice job,however....you may get micro bubbles,i had an issue and to rectify i would tilt cannister to one side when plugging in,the theory is that the tube in the can has a slight pocket when lid is in place,to expell air you tilt as system is flushing out and fill this pocket with water,also the polishing pads clog easy so i dont use them,instead i run an aquaclear 110 with a sponge and polish pads,it dose a good job,and is much easier to rinse weekly;)

You run the canister and a 110? Wouldn't that be too much for my 75 and yeah I've been reading about the polishing pads and I don't think in long run and whole scope of things it's really worth it.

Yes the 110 is just to pick up the micro dirt,i wanted the polish pads but not the issues of clogging,as the fx5 is a mini fortress lol

Youd be blown away by the amount of dirt the pads pick up,i thougt my tank was clean untill i started using the polish pads,and i dont think over filtration is a bad thing,i use 2 trays of bio balls and 1 carbon tray,try to use only half the tray and you will get better return

So it shouldn't be over kill to run a 110 and the fx5? I still have my 110's maybe I'll try it and see what it does. So just do pad and polishing pads? No bio media or carbon or anything else? That's alot of filtration and surface agitation with those filters and my 2 air stones but I'll try it.

Back
Top Bottom