Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wife ordered the FX5!!!!!

Total with shipping 226.00 free shipping from PA it will be here by Thursday!! It only comes with sponges. I bought the carbon and bio media. I have 2 AC 110's. What is the best way to seed the new filter? Take the bio media and sponges? Or just bio media? Carbon too? Move everything over? I can't run the HOB's and the FX5 so I just wanna be sure I seed it right and don't start a cycle over again.

I can get some media from a friend will that help out more?

Thanks!

I'm pumped and can't wait for this to arrive! My first go with a canister!! Is it hard?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Total with shipping 226.00 free shipping from PA it will be here by Thursday!! It only comes with sponges. I bought the carbon and bio media. I have 2 AC 110's. What is the best way to seed the new filter? Take the bio media and sponges? Or just bio media? Carbon too? Move everything over? I can't run the HOB's and the FX5 so I just wanna be sure I seed it right and don't start a cycle over again.

I can get some media from a friend will that help out more?

Thanks!

I'm pumped and can't wait for this to arrive! My first go with a canister!! Is it hard?
Wow! Make sure you give her a big Kiss!

You can take all your media from your HOBs and put it in the canister. Instant cycle! Canisters are awesome. Bit messy to clean but it's a lot longer between cleans.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Wow! Make sure you give her a big Kiss!

You can take all your media from your HOBs and put it in the canister. Instant cycle! Canisters are awesome. Bit messy to clean but it's a lot longer between cleans.
Ok cool! So take everything? Sponges and all and just fit it all into the canister? I've never used one. What's it mean that it's self primed and there's a purge valve for water changes? I have no idea.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Ok cool! So take everything? Sponges and all and just fit it all into the canister? I've never used one. What's it mean that it's self primed and there's a purge valve for water changes? I have no idea.
Yep everything. That's the great thing about canisters are the trays fit just about anything.
Self priming is usually a dodgy push button on the top that's suppose to suck water from the tank to start a syphon and fill the canister. I can't speak for fluvals but with my el cheapo canisters I just fill them with tank water before I close the lid then pump it once or twice and switch on. Spits bubbles for a while then she's good to go.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I moved to the fx5 from my ac110 I just put new media in the fx5 and put my old ceramic media in the same tray and done. The self priming is in reference to once you get it going, when you turn the valves off and take the hoses off to clean your filter once its you've done your maitnence you just out your hoses back on open the valves and turn it back on. So dont have to fill it with water everytime you empty it.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think it gonna be too much for a 75g? Flow wise?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well maybe with the original output nnozzles but spray bars aren't hard to make if it turns out to be too much. I think you'll be OK
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can also aim the output nozzles against the back wall to adjust the flow.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, to answer your other question, the FX5 will turn itself off once or twice a day for about two minutes.
It is not broken.
It is allowing air bubbles to rise so they can be purged out the flow nozzles.
It will turn itself back on.

I agree with the other posters...just put all your media in your three trays: old filters and new.
They will get seeded and you will have an instant cycle regardless, since the same media is present for the same bioload of fish in your tank.

When servicing the filter, make sure to have a towel as some water will escape when you disconnect the hoses.
Sequence of hose valve opening is also important when you are ready to turn it back on, otherwise you might lose the siphon.
No biggie. I fill mine with water anyway, before turning it back on but you don't have to if you do it right.

It is a huge filter with strong flow.
When the flow looks weak, you need to service the filter. You mechanical filters might be a wad of slime!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I read that there is a computer chip in there and it shuts the filter down for 2 minutes every 24 hours.

Tags
fx5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com