will a 6500k bulb seem brighter than 5000k?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Baron

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
AS title says, I have an 18" 15 watt marinleand natural daylight which I belive is rated at 5000K and has a definate yellowish tint to it.

Will a bulb rated at 6500k or higher "appear" brighter to the eye?

Dont want to buy new bulbs if it wont be brighter.

BTW, the bulbs are only 2 months old.

Thanks,

Dan

I; trying to bring out the blues more in my rams and this bulb is not
helping.
I do have low light plants btw so I dont want actinic...
WOuld 10000K bulbs enhance the blues and still allow plant growth?

Thanks,

Dan

When you go to the higher Ks you will more than likely have a lower CRI, so you will get poorer colour rendering in general. I use Philips Natural Sunshine, 5000k, as well as 6500K Daylights, and the 5000K shows colour better (higher CRI ) and grows plants better.

Plants can only use a certain portion of the spectrum, which is around 6700k I think... When you start giving light that plants can't use, algae will have a better chance at having a foothold.

The human eye sees green the most, yellow second,
Eyesensitivity.png

That's a good representation. As you get bluer, the eye doesn't "see" as much in brightness, but it may be more comfortable to watch (think xenons vs halogens for cars) but two bulbs that are exactly the same in everything except color/temperature (I know, stay with me), the yellower one will appear brighter.

Now im totally confused. BillD says 5000K shows better color but mine is yellowish. Others say use 10000K..Others say 6500K will show more light.

Maybe I should just put the tank on the balcony outside??? lol

Mid day sun is around 6700, whitish yellow. As you go up you add more blue. So 10,000k is very white, and 20000k is super whiteish blue

For fw, 6700kish is best for plants, but you can add multiple bulbs if you want.

What about the Zoomed ocean sun or the flora sun bulb? Would either of these be brighter and show off less yellows and more natural colors?

Dan

Back
Top Bottom