will a bigger pump increase my skimmers efectiveness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elke

Aquarium Advice Regular
i own a sealife nv-250 with a rio 2500 pump on it now i pump more water back into my tank then my skimmers moves my return pump is a mag 1200 and the rio moves 700 now if i up my skimmers pump o say a 3100 rio which pumps 900 will i produce better results with my skimmer i'm turning over alot of water in my sump it is only a 30g tank with about 9in of water in it so will this idea help me or not make a difference. or can i go with a bigger pump for my skimmer any thoughts or suggestions would be great it seems the i put the water back into my tank before the skimmer gets to it thanks

Easy answer is -maybe-. A skimmer isn't like a mechanical filter where the more water through, the better. The water has to spend a certain amount of time inside the skimmer to give maximum contact time with the bubbles, which is what pulls the crud out of the water. If you move the water through too fast, you're basically just running an expensive powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom