Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ceramic rings are great, but biochem stars work great as well for media to hold the nitrifying bacteria. I use the biochem stars as media for some drag in my DIY reactor. Works fine so far. I think some of the XP3s come with the ceramic rings free, mine did so that is 16 bucks saved. The micro filtration floss is a great water polisher, so order some extra. Many don't leave them in all the time, but just put them in for a while to clean it up. I like leaving them in all the time and haven't lost a Dwarf Gourami since I switched to Filstars. (They need really clean water.)

PS. you can turn the spraybar back and run the water against the back wall if its too much current, but it won't be in your 90. Good luck. You've got some great gear to start with. I vote for the one XP3. You could always add another XP2 later if you want.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Double post

Old 04-02-2004, 03:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO, for 90gal you need to used preasurise CO2. the yeast method will not be sufficent. Also imagine having 4-6 2L soda bottle under the tank...

Btw, 2 XP2 with 4 tube in tank will have higher filtering rate then 2 XP2 connect in series.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've measured the output of my xP3 with full media and about 5' head- it's actually about 240 gph, not 350 like the box claims. It's not enough filtration for my 70g AC tank, but that's pretty heavily stocked.

-J
Old 04-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I like the idea of 2 XP2, just because I like to have two filters on a tank of that size. Instead of a reactor, if you want, you can plumb your CO2 into your filter outflow, or even just run the bubbles through one of the filters from the intake. One less piece of equipment. I think you have an outstanding setup in mind here and you should be in great shape. I run an XP3 on my 55, which may be a bit much, but I am not having any problems!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com