Will a single XP3 canister filter be enough???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90gal tall tank I am setting up. I was hopping to get at least one free canister filter from my brother but he is being a flake and I just don't feel like waiting for him anymore.

I know a lot of you have recommended the Rena XP3 filter but will that be enough for my tank? Should I get 2 XP2 filters instead? or maybe the XP3 and an internal filter?

I guess what I am asking is what will be the best filter setup for my tank?

Hope to get feedback soon, would like to order the filter(s) today.

Thanks,

Jeff

Also what Media do you guys recommend?

RENA Filstar Activated Carbon
RENA Filstar Bio Chem Stars
RENA Filstar Bio Chem Zorb
RENA Filstar Ceramic Rings
RENA Filstar Foam 20
RENA Filstar Foam 30
RENA Filstar Micro Filtration
RENA Filstar Nitra Zorb
RENA Filstar Phos Zorb
RENA Filstar Water Softener Pillow
RENA Filstar Zeolite Ammonia Remover

SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM... Making my head hurt again :?

turnover is up to you, but it seems most people believe 6-10x tank volume is sufficient.

with that in mind the unrestircted flow of rena filstars is as follows
xp1 - 250gph
xp2 - 300gph
xp3 - 350gph

expect lower actual output with media and shoot for 540-900gph

i personally believe a pair of xp2s would be excellent
as far as media my xp3s run with the foam they came with, floss, and purigen by seachem.

you could also run an xp2 or xp3 with an aquaclear 300 hob for same flow rate yet much more cost effective

hob is not the prefered filtration method for planted tanks
however if cost is an issue it is a viable solution
if you keep the water level in your tank high enough, surface agitation will be kept to a minimum
i would also imagine on a 90g tank you will be injecting additional co2

Cost isn't the biggest issue for me but I don't want to be spending $300 for a filter either. :D I am trying to set this tank up correct from the start. Right now this is what I have:

90gal Tall Tank
Eco-Complete substrate
2x55watt at 5000k
2x55watt at 10000k
1x96watt at 6700k (3.5 wpg)
10lbs CO2 tank
CO2 Regulator w/needle valve, solenoid valve, and bubble counter
SMS 122 CO2 automatic shutoff
(still need to build the reactor)
2x200watt Ebo-Jager heaters

I think I am pretty much there... just need to figure out the filters

then i would still recommend the pair of xp2s

you can find them for about $70 + s/h

also is your eco dark grey or black?
currently my 10g has natural pea gravel, uncoated, with a plant backgound, that you cant really see. hopefully in the next few weeks, ill be getting a new AGA 10g black seal with a black background and want a black substrate. :mrgreen:

Well I am still unsure what to do???
Why would you do 2 rena xp2's instead of 1 xp3?

If I did the 2 xp2's would I run them in series or just have 4 tubes going to my tank?

If you were to use two XP2 you could put an intake on both ends of the tank and the returns in the center (or vice versa) to really turn over the tank. Filtering really good.

If you were to run one XP3 you would have only one intake and one return to the tank. Which is still more than enough filtration.

If you plan to build a CO2 reactor using a powerhead. You might consider the XP3 and put a foam filter on your CO2 powerhead. This would be a nice set up for a 90g and save you some money versus two XP2's.

Also keep in mind what fish you plan to keep. Some fish like a fast moving current, where others like a slower current. If you use a couple of XP2's the current is going to be farly strong throughout the tank. Where as with an XP3 you could put the intake on one end of the tank for slower current and the return on the other end of the tank for fish that enjoy a fast current. This keeps all in a community tank with different needs happy.

As far as filtration. I use the two foams, ceramic noodles, and floss that came with my XP1 for filtration. I also boiled and dried some peat moss and added it, as well. Works great. No need to spend more money on filter media. Whats supplied with the filter(s) is more than adequate to get you started. Don't use the carbon that comes with the XP's for a planted tank (this is somewhat contraversial).

Looks like your doing your homework :wink: . I hope the water current's that various fish prefer does'nt throw you off :lol:

Ceramic rings are great, but biochem stars work great as well for media to hold the nitrifying bacteria. I use the biochem stars as media for some drag in my DIY reactor. Works fine so far. I think some of the XP3s come with the ceramic rings free, mine did so that is 16 bucks saved. The micro filtration floss is a great water polisher, so order some extra. Many don't leave them in all the time, but just put them in for a while to clean it up. I like leaving them in all the time and haven't lost a Dwarf Gourami since I switched to Filstars. (They need really clean water.)

PS. you can turn the spraybar back and run the water against the back wall if its too much current, but it won't be in your 90. Good luck. You've got some great gear to start with. I vote for the one XP3. You could always add another XP2 later if you want.

IMO, for 90gal you need to used preasurise CO2. the yeast method will not be sufficent. Also imagine having 4-6 2L soda bottle under the tank... :?

Btw, 2 XP2 with 4 tube in tank will have higher filtering rate then 2 XP2 connect in series.

I've measured the output of my xP3 with full media and about 5' head- it's actually about 240 gph, not 350 like the box claims. It's not enough filtration for my 70g AC tank, but that's pretty heavily stocked.

-J

I like the idea of 2 XP2, just because I like to have two filters on a tank of that size. Instead of a reactor, if you want, you can plumb your CO2 into your filter outflow, or even just run the bubbles through one of the filters from the intake. One less piece of equipment. I think you have an outstanding setup in mind here and you should be in great shape. I run an XP3 on my 55, which may be a bit much, but I am not having any problems!

Back
Top Bottom