Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
A 55 gallon tank weighs 459 pounds, and that stand looks a bit flimsy to support that much weight. If you want to use that stand I would reinforce it with some 2 x 4s or 3/4-inch plywood sheets. Also, there should be a pad of styrofoam or other cushioning material to ease the stress.

Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I disagree on the weight Laurence. I think a full 55 gal would be more in the range of 600 lbs.

Durvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
55 gallons of water weighs about 459lbs, but is there such a thing as a "tankless" tank? Over 600lbs is right.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This has been going around for a few days.
Build a Strong, Inexpensive Aquarium Stand « Random Bits of Projects

For the price of fixing that thing you can make a much better and probably more inexpensive stand. To me those legs just don't look sturdy. Reinforce all you want but if you have spindly legs...boom. Also great advice to fill it up outside for a day or so, no sense "testing" indoors.
Saw this in a cartoon once, think I can pull it off!

Please show your support for this site, vote...Click here
kirbster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I had that stand,,....and for MY own piece of mind ( although it might be fine as it is ) ...I'd drive to home depot and get some 2x4 or 2x2's and brace that thing up.....once it's filled it's going to be tooooo late,....it looks like as it stands now that once filled all the tanks weight is being directed straight down which is fine ..,but ,once filled it looks like if you bumped it from the side it could fold up like a stack of cards.....when I got my factory made stand home and looked it over it was so cheaply put together that there was no way I was going to fill it up with water ,...I spent a day rebuilding that stand from the inside out, now I can sleep at night knowing that it's not going to collapse during the night ,and seeing that I live in California ,earthquakes and tremors,....your stand and your decision.
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
Water weighs 8.35 pounds each gallon. Do the math. Yes, with the glass tank added it will weigh more - probably too much for the narrow legs of the stand.
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus
I wouldn't chance it. It looks a little flimsy to me too.

I built a stand for pretty cheap (less than $80) and I even wrapped it in 1/4" birch. You could probably build one for half that if you don't care about looks.

I used these plans:
DIY Stands Template and Calculator - Reef Central Online Community

My build thread:
30g long and 10g stand
meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Skype™ to LemurLad
Well, I decided to go with a cinderblock stand! Holds the tank very solidly and was mega-super-cheap! Thanks for all the help guys!
[5Gal - Candy Bin Tank] [40Gal - Paludarium Journal] [55Gal - Dirt Aquarium]
LemurLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
put some cross braces in it should tighten it up .

bluefishr88 is offline   Reply With Quote

stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com