Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 04:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Will my floor hold it?

I never really thought about it but we live in a doublewide manufactured home. Its from around the 60's my fiance says but it looks newer to me. Anyway I got under it today and I cant tell if there are cynderblocks under the tank or not. Should I reinforce the floor underneath? I estimated my 50gallon to weigh with the stand around 600 pounds. The floor underneath the house looks healthy. There are no leaks or anything under there, Very dry. Well what do you guys think?

Old 02-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
No one has any advice on this?

Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Puffer,

doesn't drive you nuts when you'd like some serious advice and no one answers!
thats one of the things that drives me crazy on this board.
Well, enough ranting.

Have you researched the manufacturer of the home...are they still in biz?
maybe a call or e-mail to them might answer your question.
Or if they are not around maybe a similar company that manufacters that same type of home might be able to help.

its just a thought
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think anyone could answer this question unless we know what structurally supports the floor. Are there 2x8 floor joists 16" on center? If its a trailer type home you need to get under it and see what floor system it has.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is this thing where I have a phobia of going under houses lol. I will if I have to but id rather not if you know what I mean. I would have no clue as to how to get ahold of the manufactuer of the home. Our renting company doesnt exactly know we have it so I cant ask them. lol. Well thanks for your help guys. And yes Rocket2001 it does drive me crazy but this is still a GREAT froum. I come here more than I go to reefcentral. And they have over 114,000 members.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
600 lbs should not be a problem. My reasoning, the tank weight is distrubuted over a couple of feet. Water beds are used in homes and they weigh considerably more. Is your tank parallel to the floor joists or across them? I have a 125 gal tank that is across my floor joists with no extra reinforcements, it weighs probably close to 1500 lbs with water, tank, stand, etc and has been up for 6 months with absolutely no shifting in the floor joists or signs of stress on the joists, floorboards. It is still as level as it always was. HTH.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. I dont know whats under it, its right next to a wall though going down close to the center of the home. The wieght is distributed by 4 feet BUT it has 4 legs The feet on them are 4X4's I dont know how that would affect it.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Each leg has 150 lbs well less than most males humans. I would not worry. Generally any tank 75 and under is pretty safe. Most leases allow that size without further insurance etc.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool. Thanks a lot guys. Besides how much does the wverage refigerator wiegh?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k
Each leg has 150 lbs well less than most males humans. I would not worry. Generally any tank 75 and under is pretty safe.
i was thinking that same thing.....three average guys sitting on a couch would be OK in your house why wouldn't a tank?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com