Will my stand hold a 75gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i just picked up a 75 gallon aquarium and stand from this guy for $80 on craigslist. I checked the tank, no scratches or cracks. Filled it up on my lawn and no leaks. Super stoked. Anyway, so with it came a steel frame. Im sort of worried that its not going to be able to handle the weight... It seems pretty sturdy, and the guy had the tank on it (he had an iguana in it though not water). But its the same kind of stand you can get online to hold these types of aquariums. Just making sure that the legs of the stand arent going to buckle under the weight.

Well........in order to answer your question we need to know the dimensions of the steel used to make the legs and the frame.
Are there any cross braces? Bottom tray?

There are steel tank stands that will hold them. Look around on the stand and see if you can find a manufactorer. Most likely, if the tank is indeed an aquarium and not a reptile cage, the stand was bought at the same time and it will indeed hold the tank :)

If your worried, try to break it. Push on the ends. If the stand bend in, the tank would probably collapse.

Can you tell how thick the frame bars are? I have a homemade steel stand for my 75, but it's about a 1/4 inch angle iron, so I don't worry lol. I believe my tank weighs around 900lbs. YIKES!

Water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon, so a 75 gallon tank will weigh 626 pounds. You could test the stand by placing heavy rocks, pieces of cement, or sand bags on the stand to see if it buckles. Might be a bit of a hassle but that's better than having it collapse under the weight of the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom