Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by revchristinejday View Post
Dear Artesanwells,

The combination of the Aqueon 55 and AC 110 should be okay and providing 10 times gallon size/hour which is just right for goldies. And obviously any media you can transfer from another tank to your new one will help grow the beneficial bacteria you will need in the tank.

Good luck,
Chris
Thanks a lot Chris!

The only reason I asked was because I was running the same setup before on a smaller tank -- that is, the Aqueon and the AquaClear -- and now we're considering going with a 75 gallon (the tank that cracked on us previously was a 60). So, I wanted to make sure I didn't need to add another filter to this new setup (if we go with the bigger 75)...

As for transferring the media from the 10 gallon, yeah, I was actually thinking of putting the Aqueon QuietFlow 20 that's on the 10 gallon now onto the 60 or 75 gallon, whichever we get, just to add a third filter to the mix and that way, along with more gallons per hour being turned over, the seeded media would kind of be in place...

Old 08-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

So...just so I understand perfectly:

The Aqueon 55 and AquaClear 110 will both be okay running on a 75 gallon, even though previously they were filtering a 60 gallon?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Thank you, Terrance. And I shall keep up with the water changes. I think I learned my lesson from last time...

Here's a question about the cycling/re-entry plan for the goldies going into the larger tank: Should the new tank be running a certain amount of time with fresh (treated) tap water and the filters running BEFORE the fish go in? And should I even start with a product like Seachem's Stability to kick-start the cycle...or just leave the fish to do their thing in this regard?
Quote:
So...just so I understand perfectly:

The Aqueon 55 and AquaClear 110 will both be okay running on a 75 gallon, even though previously they were filtering a 60 gallon?
Yes its adequate. You can add more filtration, but it doesn't change anything except you may be able to siphon less waste off the substrate.

If the filter media has been running on another tank, then you can just fill the tank with treated water, transfer the filter, and then put your fish into the tank. No delay.

If at any time your filter media was able to dry out or sit in non-moving water for a day or two, then you will have to cycle.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Yes its adequate. You can add more filtration, but it doesn't change anything except you may be able to siphon less waste off the substrate.
Okay; I was only double-confirming because all you hear about is the "amount of filtration required for adequate turnover rate -- especially on a goldfish tank!" and all that. I wanted to be sure that these two filters that were previously running on a 60 would also be "okay" on a 75...

Quote:
If the filter media has been running on another tank, then you can just fill the tank with treated water, transfer the filter, and then put your fish into the tank. No delay.

If at any time your filter media was able to dry out or sit in non-moving water for a day or two, then you will have to cycle.
This one is a little more tricky -- the Aqueon 20 that's on the 10 gallon and has been running on there has had a cartridge changed since the original one initially went in (due to an odor we thought was coming from it due to the massive bio-load of this tank), so I am not sure if the new cartridge is 100 percent "seeded" as of yet...I realize this ran the risk of experiencing a mini cycle because of the changed media, but I was hoping that was handled by any BB that may have built up on the Aqueon HOB's blue plastic "bio grid" pieces which are supposed to handle colonization...

At any rate, what exactly should I do when I get the new tank? Fill it up with tap water (after all decor, gravel, etc. has been rinsed off, etc. and placed), get the filters running, make sure the tank isn't leaking for a couple of days, with the filters running, then treat the tank with Prime and I can pretty much add the fish from the other tank? Should I even bother to use a product like Stability as I did last time to kick-start the cycle? I don't think this product actually does anything but make the water cloudy because of the bottled bacteria, but I'm thinking it's just something to "brace" the fresh water in the brand-new tank for the incoming fish, being that they're coming from a different tank...although the tap water will be from the same source.

I only ask these questions because you didn't seem to mention a fish-in cycle; I am assuming you meant that if we can't use the previous media then I'll have to do a fish-in cycle? If so, what does that really equate to...just watching and testing the water parameters and doing water changes as necessary while the fish are in there?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're unsure of whether you have adequate BB, then re-do the cycle process. FIshless cycle is recommended, but not necessary. You can do fish-in cycle, but its more time consuming. You can use money to buy bottled products to speed up the process. I recommend products like Dr. Tim's One and Only or Safestart to help decrease the amount of time for fish-in cycle. I have not read too much into Stability yet.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #16

Quote:
If you're unsure of whether you have adequate BB, then re-do the cycle process. FIshless cycle is recommended, but not necessary. You can do fish-in cycle, but its more time consuming. You can use money to buy bottled products to speed up the process. I recommend products like Dr. Tim's One and Only or Safestart to help decrease the amount of time for fish-in cycle. I have not read too much into Stability yet.
I used the Stability in the past, but all this seems to do is make the water cloudy for awhile (because it's bottled bacteria) even though it's supposed to kind of "brace" the tank water for the fish, and vice-versa (according to Seachem's marketing materials, all aquatic life forms can be added at any time when using Stability, so long as the dose is continued for the prescribed seven days).

Regardless, what's the procedure with the fish-in cycle, exactly?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I used the Stability in the past, but all this seems to do is make the water cloudy for awhile (because it's bottled bacteria) even though it's supposed to kind of "brace" the tank water for the fish, and vice-versa (according to Seachem's marketing materials, all aquatic life forms can be added at any time when using Stability, so long as the dose is continued for the prescribed seven days).

Regardless, what's the procedure with the fish-in cycle, exactly?
Do as many water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrItes zero. If you test your water today and you get 1.0 ammonia, then you're going to have to do a complete 100% (or as close to it as possible) water change. Feed the goldfish as little as possible. You're likely to going to have to test everyday until you get zero ammonia and nitrIte readings with some nitrAte reading.

Its normal to get clouding from Safestart and One and Only, so I'm assuming its also normal for Stability.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Do as many water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrItes zero. If you test your water today and you get 1.0 ammonia, then you're going to have to do a complete 100% (or as close to it as possible) water change. Feed the goldfish as little as possible. You're likely to going to have to test everyday until you get zero ammonia and nitrIte readings with some nitrAte reading.

Its normal to get clouding from Safestart and One and Only, so I'm assuming its also normal for Stability.
Okay, so with regard to the cycle...

1. Fill the new tank up, whenever we get it and set everything up (substrate, decor, filters, etc.), with fresh tap water treated with Prime

2. Let it run, perhaps, for a couple of days just to ensure no leaking and that the filters are properly working

3. Scoop the fish from the 10 gallon out (no net procedure) and place them in a Ziplock bag, then proceed to float them for the 15 minute adjustment period

4. Release fish, ALL TOGETHER, into the new tank

5. Now at this point...are you saying I need to monitor, on a daily basis, the parameters while the fish are in and kick-starting the cycle?

Are these steps accurate and correct?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes that sounds accurate. Test the water parameter daily. If you are doubting the water quality, then it wouldn't hurt to test it for a second time per day.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Yes that sounds accurate. Test the water parameter daily. If you are doubting the water quality, then it wouldn't hurt to test it for a second time per day.
Thank you; and this is all that is necessary for a "fish-in" cycle?

Tags
die, goldie, re-home

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com