Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Will Some Kind of "Prefilter" Work for my AquaClear 110 "Bubble Sucking" Problem?

Okay, so torrents of bubbles from one of my 18" bars at the back of the tank continue to cascade into, and be sucked up by, my AquaClear 110's intake pipe/strainer (and I realize this should eventually do some kind of naughty stuff to its impeller), and thus I am getting that continuous, droning, annoying "box full of rocks" noise from the 110 as it cuts the bubbles into microbubbles and unhouses/unseats the impeller...it is beyond annoying even sitting feet from the tank looking at it in our recliners, but due to the layout of the tank and what I was trying to accomplish with the "bubble curtain" in the back, these bars just can't work anywhere else but along the back glass, unfortunately putting one of them directly under the 110's intake strainer...

Here's my question -- would some kind of "prefilter" that I keep hearing about, which primarily keeps small fish from being sucked against the strainer, work to relieve this bubble chopping issue? If I were to add some kind of prefilter onto the AquaClear's intake strainer, would this eliminate some of the bubbles getting sucked up into it? If not, is there something else I can try such as putting a mound of substrate on that one spot of the bubble bar to block the bubbles from being sucked up?

If the prefilter could work, where would I find one and how do these install exactly? I have no experience with them...

everyone, in advance...

Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

I had read, on another forum, that perhaps removing the bubble bar and adding some kind of tape to the area that sits beneath the filter intake to "block" the bubbles coming from that area could work...

Any thoughts? Would "tape" leech some kind of unwanted toxins into the water?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing that will work would be to remove the bubble flow from beneath the intake. The tape is a great idea. Use electrical tape and you shouldn't have a problem. You could also remove the bar let dry and silicone the area you want to have no bubbles.

Hope this helps!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfriend View Post
The only thing that will work would be to remove the bubble flow from beneath the intake. The tape is a great idea. Use electrical tape and you shouldn't have a problem. You could also remove the bar let dry and silicone the area you want to have no bubbles.

Hope this helps!!
Thanks, phish...

But I don't understand one element of your answer -- you say that the ONLY thing that would work would be to remove the bubble flow from beneath the intake, but then you say the TAPE COULD work...

Can you clarify that?

I will consider the silicone as well, though I don't trust myself to hammer a nail into a piece of wood correctly......
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you tape the area of the bar under the intake it will effectively remove the bubble flow from under the intake. Does that make sense?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
If you tape the area of the bar under the intake it will effectively remove the bubble flow from under the intake. Does that make sense?
Yes, I see what you're saying now -- taping off the area would essentially stop the bubbles from hitting the intake...thanks!

You don't think that my initial idea for the thread, using some kind of "prefilter" material on the intake strainer, would work?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think It would slow the air buildup in the intake down a bit but the suction would still pull any bubbles that happened to stick or cling to the pre filter in. The tape or silicone would be a more permeant fix and be one less thing you have to worry about.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
I think It would slow the air buildup in the intake down a bit but the suction would still pull any bubbles that happened to stick or cling to the pre filter in. The tape or silicone would be a more permeant fix and be one less thing you have to worry about.
Understood; let me take that into consideration...thanks for all your help.

On the subject of prefilters, what exactly are these made of, and how are they applied to an intake pipe? Do you have any links to pics of these?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a goggle image search for you. Most are foam but people use all kinds of stuff. Pantyhose, sock etc.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...iw=320&bih=416

Hope it helps!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Here is a goggle image search for you. Most are foam but people use all kinds of stuff. Pantyhose, sock etc.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...iw=320&bih=416

Hope it helps!
Thank you! That has indeed helped!

You know, looking over many of the images in that link, I came across this one, the Fluval prefilter that slips over the 110's intake:

Rock or Sand? • Cichlid-Forum

And it seems to me this could possibly work in my situation -- that is, it could effectively block the bubbles coming up into the intake based on the thick-ish foam material; what do you think?

Tags
aquaclear, bubble, clear, filter, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com